Yellow exclamation mark problem.

Disk Drives

Disk Drives
Disk Drives (Floppy, USB, HDD, CD/DVD/BD) discussion

Yellow exclamation mark problem.

• After I installed NEC 2500A DVD +/- R/RW burner a couple days ago, it worked fine in the beginning, now I got two yellow exclamation mark in both drives in secondary IDE. Even I switched the DVD writer with another device, it's the same. Both devices are set Cable Select. This comment is from the yellow exclamation mark driver:

Windows cannot start this hardware device because its configuration information (in the registry) is incomplete or damaged. (Code 19)

I tried: system restore, update BIOS, reseat the data cable, uninstall the driver and reboot PC, set both devices to "DMA if available" in property of secondary IDE controller of device manager...... Now I can't reinstall Windows XP as the CD or DVD drives are not available. Any assistance will be much appreciated.

• Hi Jrcm,

Click on the CD/RW link in my post and scroll to Section 100, article 31 for Microsoft`s article on the Code 19 error. This has helped a number of Members, hopefully you as well.

Best Regards

God, grant me the senility to forget the people I never liked anyway,
    the good fortune to run into the ones I do and the eyesight to tell the
    difference.

CD/RW Link

Jeff

"Live Free -- Die Hard"

Forum Member since March 1998

• Hi Predator,

Thank you so much for your help. Even I couldn't locate the UpperFilterValue, but I deleted the LowerFilterValue of the Hkey in the registry, then both drives came back. I appreciate that like you just brought my PC back to life.

Best regards,

jrcm