My TSStcorp DVD+-RW Ts-L633J ATA Device DVD/CD-Rom Drive Not Reading Dvd Discs

Disk Drives

Disk Drives
Disk Drives (Floppy, USB, HDD, CD/DVD/BD) discussion

My TSStcorp DVD+-RW Ts-L633J ATA Device DVD/CD-Rom Drive Not Reading Dvd Discs

This question is not answered

My Dell Laptop Inspiron  has a DVD/CD rom drive.  It loads all the CD that I want to and automatically opens them .  When I put in a DVD disc it will not play and neither recognize it.  I open My Computer, then look at the E drive and it doesn't even recognize that there is a DVD inside (means when i double clik it ejects the dvd disc and a message is shown that "Please insert a disc'' .Some sound comes from the drive like it is reading but nothing shows it is not detecting my dvd.I tried many options but to no help.  I reinstalled the drivers also. But always the same message shows up.

All Replies
  • Hi reemarani,

This indicates that the laser for the DVD discs have failed.

Try the following methods which can isolate the issue:

Method 1: Clean the disc

• When you have problems with a CD or DVD drive, always check the disc first to see whether it is damaged or dirty. To clean the disc, follow these steps:
    • Remove the disc from the drive.
    • Clean the disc with a disc cleaning kit or by gently wiping the silver side of the disc from the center outward with a dry, soft, lint-free, cotton cloth.

Note Do not use a paper cloth, and do not use a circular motion to clean the disc. These can scratch the disc.

• Reinsert the disc in the CD or DVD drive.
    • If the computer can read the disc, you are finished.
    • If the computer still cannot read the disc, go to step 4.
    • Try again to clean the disc by using a cloth dampened with water, or dampened with a commercial CD or DVD cleaning solution.
    • Dry the disc thoroughly, and then reinsert it in the CD or DVD drive.
    • If the computer can read the disc, you are finished.
    • If the computer still cannot read the disc, go to method 2.

Method 2: Check the disc for damage

• If the disc is clean, check whether it is damaged. To do this, follow these steps:
    • Remove the disc from the drive, and then examine the disc for scratches or cracks.
    • If the disc is damaged, try another disc to see whether the CD or DVD drive can read it.
    • If the computer still cannot read a disc, there may be a problem with the drive. Go to method 3 to troubleshoot the CD or DVD drive.
    • If the computer can read the other disc, there is a problem with original CD or DVD. Contact the manufacturer of the damaged disc to obtain a replacement.

Method 3: Try a different disc drive

• If the disc is clean and undamaged, check whether there is a problem with the drive. To do this, follow these steps:
    • If the computer has more than one disc drive, insert the disc in a different CD or DVD drive to see whether it can read the disc.
    • If your computer does not have more than one disc drive, you can insert the disc in a different computer.
    • If the other CD or DVD drive can read the disc, there may be a problem with your CD or DVD drive. Go to method 5.
    • If the other CD or DVD drive cannot read the disc, the disc may not be compatible with the drive. Go to method 4.

Method 4: Make sure that the disc is compatible with the drive

• Check the following list to make sure that the disc that you are trying to use is compatible with your CD or DVD drive.
    • A DVD disc is incompatible with a standard CD drive.
    • A CD-RW disc is incompatible with a CD drive that does not support CD-RW discs.
    • A DVD disc is incompatible with a drive that does not have a DVD logo on the front.

Also, click on the link below to run Microsoft fixit:

http://bit.ly/ehUA8d

Awaiting your response!

Thanks & Regards
    Rajesh R
    #iworkfordell
    To know  more about Dell Product Support, Drivers & Downloads, Order & Dispatch status -> choose your region US ; UK; India. For Dell support videos click Here.
    If a post answers your question, please click "
    Yes".

• I tried all the solutions given by you but still the problem persists

• Hi reemarani,

This can be a DVD drive failure.

To assist you further, kindly private message the service tag so that I can take the case forward.

To send me a Private Message, click my User name, and then click Start Conversation.

Awaiting your response!

Thanks & Regards
    Rajesh R
    #iworkfordell
    To know  more about Dell Product Support, Drivers & Downloads, Order & Dispatch status -> choose your region US ; UK; India. For Dell support videos click Here.
    Yes".

• I have the exact problem.  it started today.

My warranty was up last month oh well,  I would like to uninstall and reinstall the driver under driver manager. My problem is which driver do I reinstall?I can not find a specific driver that is named  CD/DVD RW

I have a Latitude E5500, Win 7 professional.

Thanks in advance.

Charlotte

• can you tell me how much will it cost to replace the optical drive

• Hi Charlotte,

Did you try troubleshooting steps from the above post?

If the issue persists, Kindly private message the service tag and details so that I can take the case forward.

To send me a Private Message, click my User name, and then click Start Conversation.

Awaiting your response!

Thanks & Regards
    Rajesh R
    #iworkfordell
    Yes".

• Hi reemarani,

I recommend you to contact Dell India technical suporrt for the prcing details as they would be the best people who can help you.

Please reply for any further questions.

Thanks & Regards
    Rajesh R
    #iworkfordell
    Yes".