Optiplex 755, win7, Teac dvd dv28sv The dvd disappear.

Disk Drives

Disk Drives
Disk Drives (Floppy, USB, HDD, CD/DVD/BD) discussion

Optiplex 755, win7, Teac dvd dv28sv The dvd disappear.

This question is answered

My dvd drive disappear after boot up. It vanish after app 1 min.  from both "My computer " and device drivers.

I can use the drive to boot from, it works perfect before windows is loading.

Had this problem for  weeks now and tried so much.

"Fix it" can not find any fault when the drive is there, and can not find the drive when it is gone.

Found a TBF updater for the drive on Dell driver homepage. It can not find the drive at all.

During the minute I see the drive it works bad, slow respond, if playing a cd it playes like on/off all the time.

I do have some additional problems with reading some usb sticks that works on other pc´s, but don´t think this any to do with this.

Any experts on this?

Verified Answer
All Replies
  • Hi lundoeer,

It could be annoying when the DVD drive disappears after boot up. I suggest you to run the hardware diagnostics as you also reported about USB issues by following the steps provided the link below:
    http://dell.to/OUGnqT

Please reply to this message with the results of the diagnostics.

Thanks and Regards,
    Rajath N
    Dell Social Media and Community Professional
    Order Status : http://dell.to/1fgKSTr
    Download Drivers : http://dell.to/1hcxG98

• The test passes without any error.

Regards, Jørgen

• Hi Jørgen,

This could be a flaky connection between the drive and the computer. When the drive disappears, check the BIOS and see if the drive is present there.

• What do you mean by "flakey"? I have tried the drive in the other sata port on the motherboard.

The drive is always in the bios, and to check the bios without leaving windows, I don´t know if that is possible?

Regards

Jørgen

• Sorry, by flaky I mean unreliable.

When the drive disappears, is it also missing from device manager, or do you see any error?

• I do not see any error, and the drive is gone from device manager and My computer. Only by booting I get back the drive for a short time. Not even unplugging and again provide the power for it helps.

• I would simply replace it.

• OK, I will consider to spend the necessary. :-)

Thanks.

• Hi,

I have exactly the same problem!

The DVD is shown in the BIOS and after starting Windows, but a few minutes later it disappeares in the explorer and also in the device manager.

I don*t think that the DVD is broken, I think, there is a driver problem.....

And...by the way, I*m totally fed up from waisting my time.....

Cheers

Buzzi-Club

• To Buzzi-Club -

I placed the same question on Microsoft Community forum for win7- hardware and drivers, until now they have not been quick, but when / if I get an answer, I will let you know.

• To lundoeer and Buzzi-Club,

As I mentioned above, there are no specific drivers for optical drives. The same Windows drivers are used for all optical drives. So there is no such thing as a "better driver" that will fix a disappearing DVD drive.

My suggestion would be to go to my troubleshooting guide (link below) and follow the instructions to run the Dell diagnostics on your drive. If the diagnostics utility is not able to find any DVD drive, you should replace it. If the diagnostics test turns up a read error with a disc in the drive or any other sort of error, you should replace the drive.

If the diagnostics passes, then the hardware is good and you can start looking for a software problem. Frequently the "upper and lower filter trick" will resolve a missing drive or error code in device manager.

• But, as mentioned- the drive passes the test with no error, and then disappears. Thereafter the drive can not be seen from the test prg.

On  Microsoft Community forum my question remains unanswered.

• Hi Lundoeer,

As I suggested above, I recommend you replace the drive.

• On Dell Optiplex 755 with Windows 7 installed, the dvd drive will appear in Computer for about 1 or 2 minutes then disappears.  This mainly affects Dells 755 that have the TEAC dvd drive.  Updating the software (firmware) for the TEAC drive will fix this problem.  Once you login to windows, the dvd drive will only show for 2 minutes, you must complete the software update before the 2 minute expires.  In the steps below, you will download a file (R262157).  Then you will run this file and it will extract the software update to the C:\Dell\drivers\R262157\Windows folder.  Then it will start the software update program (DOL.exe).  The update program will try to find a TEAC dvd drive and update the software.

Go to the following link to download the software update:

http://www.dell.com/support/drivers/us/en/04/DriverDetails/DriverFileFormats?c=us&l=en&s=bsd&cs=04&DriverId=R262157

Then follow the steps below to update the firmware:

1. Click the Download Now link to download the file.
    2. Select For Single File download via Browser.  Click on Download Now.
    3. When the File Download window appears, click Run.
    4. Do you want to run this software?  Click Run
    5. On the “Removable Storage …” windows.  Click Continue.
    6. Select the folder where you want to unzip the file to.  Click Ok.
    7. Folder does not exist. Do you want to create it.  Click Yes.
    8. All files were successfully unzipped.  Click OK.
    9. Double click on the Windows folder.

10.Then double-click on DOL.

11.Do you want to allow the following program from an unknown publisher to make changes to this computer?  Click Yes.

12.At the TEAC screen.  Click I Agree.

13.AT the TARGET Drive:  A DVDROM DV28SV was found…. Click Update.

14.Update your DVD-ROM DV28SV firmware to version?  Click Yes.

15.Firmware has been updated successfully.  Restart your computer.  Click Yes.

16.Your computer will restart and your dvd drive should be ready for use.

If No DV-28S-V drive is found in step 13, then two minutes has expired.  You will need to restart the computer. Then re-run the software update program by doing the following:

1. Click Start
    2. Click Computer or My Computer
    3. Double click on C: drive.
    4. Open Dell\drivers\R262157\Windows folder by double-clicking on each folder.
    5. Then double-click on DOL.exe to start the update program.
    6. Then repeat steps 12-16 above.
  • If I follow the above link I get the message :

Details for this driver are currently unavailable. Please try again later.

The file is not available ?