500GB 5400 RPM SATA HDD and 32GB mSATA SSD

Disk Drives

Disk Drives
Disk Drives (Floppy, USB, HDD, CD/DVD/BD) discussion

500GB 5400 RPM SATA HDD and 32GB mSATA SSD

This question is answered

I am wondering if I can load my OS and applications / programmes only on to the "32GB mSATA SSD" and have the 500GB for pure file storage.

If not able to do so , I would like to know if there is any Dell laptop max. 15' that can support 2 disks (one ssd and one hdd)

I understand that the Latitude has the capability yet you "loose" the DVD drive... correct?

Any other models up to 15' that can support two 2,5' disk drives (preferably one ssd and one hdd)?

I have accomplished such a configuration with my Studio 1745 and I am very happy with the... results!

Thank you for your time, assistance and cooperation.

Verified Answer
  • Hi YourSpy005,

No, a 32GB mSATA drive needs all 32GB for the cache. As has been discussed in several other forum posts, you could upgrade to a larger mSATA drive that would allow installation of the OS onto the mSATA drive. Please do some searching around the forum for ideas and procedures.

There are some Inspiron 15R Special Edition models with both a HDD and mSATA drive, if that's what you mean by two drives.

• None of the 15" models will take two internal 2.5" drives -- for that you need to go to 17" (at least in the Inspiron/XPS line).

All Replies
  • Hi YourSpy005,

No, a 32GB mSATA drive needs all 32GB for the cache. As has been discussed in several other forum posts, you could upgrade to a larger mSATA drive that would allow installation of the OS onto the mSATA drive. Please do some searching around the forum for ideas and procedures.

There are some Inspiron 15R Special Edition models with both a HDD and mSATA drive, if that's what you mean by two drives.

• o.k. understood , I will search to find how to "upgrade to a larger mSATA drive that would allow installation of the OS onto the mSATA drive" and at the same time I will re-research the forum posts... I could not find something relevant earlier when I looked - and all that with 4 eyes... Cool Tongue Tied

When I mentioned 2 drives I meant 2 (two) separate slots / bays for inserting / placing 2,5' disks . Preferably one SSD (for OS & programs )and one regular HDD for storage.

Thank you so much for your time and assistance.

• None of the 15" models will take two internal 2.5" drives -- for that you need to go to 17" (at least in the Inspiron/XPS line).