Windows 8 8500 XPS - Cannot backup system or make a system image- error Ox80780119

Disk Drives

Disk Drives
Disk Drives (Floppy, USB, HDD, CD/DVD/BD) discussion

Windows 8 8500 XPS - Cannot backup system or make a system image- error Ox80780119

This question is not answered

Hello,

New computer today and want to back things up, and checking things.

Windows 8 XPS 8500, have not done much at all to it, So issue is out of the box.

I cannot make a system backup or system image.

I keep getting error Ox80780119.

Searched on the net and in windows 7 seems to have had an issue of sometimes have an invisible drive being on a partition that is too small.

Not sure if the same issue but seem to be same error number.

All Replies
  • Hi Markmark7,

You can back up data using Dell backup and recovery. If you are trying to back up things by Dell backup and recovery and if you get error messages then on the application page you can update the software.

If you are using DVD and if it is not working then you can switch the device and try.

If the issue still occurs provide the steps that you did to back up.

Please do get back to us for further assistance or information.

Thanks and Regards,
    Nikhil M
    #iworkfordell

• I have the same issue.  Dell tech support was no help (was on the phone for over an hour).  There is one hidden drive on the computer that is only 40 MB in size (OEM Partition).  This might be the issue, but I don't know for certain.  I also cannot increase the size of that partition.  Someone out there has to have the answer for us.  Please...

• Hi Snowman-Z,

The question has been answered on the above post, would suggest you to try those steps to resolve the issue.

Please do get back to us on further assistance or information.

Thanks and Regards,
    Nikhil M
    #iworkfordell

• The 40Meg partition is the Diagnostics partition it is Type DE and hidden.  

If you use a 16 Gig OR LARGER Usb Flash drive you can make a bootable recovery media that works instead of making dvd's that will fail.

PTEDIT can be used to UNHIDE the diag partition but you do not want to.

F8 factory recovery is retained if you backup to a 16 gig or larger usb flash drive.

detailed description on how to rebuild
    the utility partition on a new drive:
    http://www.goodells.net/dellutility/recreate.shtml
    and the complete story of all the partitions here:
    http://www.goodells.net/dellutility/

Report Unresolved Customer Service Issues here
    I do not work for Dell. I too am a user.
    The forum is primarily user to user, with Dell employees moderating.

•  Hello,

I am trying to back up to a hard drive that is NTFS, 697 GB available and I get the error.

• what is an F8 factory recovery?

I have a 16gb drive ready (14.9 actual space) but want to back up to a hard drive also.

A bootable would be great also though, once system become bigger should I not make a bootable to a hard drive.

Sorry more used to Macs than PCs, and windows 8 makes even more confusing.

Add in that I do not want to screw up a new computer at the get go.

Want to be able to do reverts to points from time to time.

• Hi Markmark7,

The thread pertains to Windows 8, but you seem to have Windows 7. It would also be helpful if you provided the model of your Dell.

• The Dell Backup and Recovery program backs up the data true.  However that is not the same thing as a System Image Backup where you can bring the entire computer back to the way it was in case of hard drive failure, OS failure, or several other issues.  The problem is the 40mb Dell partiton.  For the System Image to be created the minimum required is 50mb free.  So any attempt at use the Windows 7 Backup that is located inside of Windows 8 fails.  I have found no way to resize that partition.  Several attempts have each resulted in having to use F8 and system recovery to get the computer running again.  Saying that the problem has been answered as you stated below is incorrect.  It still does not resolve how we can back these computers up using the System Image backups.

• Hi William Stevens,

Sorry but this thread is getting a bit out of hand trying to help several people with different operating systems. I'm going to suggest you start your own thread. Please be sure to provide the model of your Dell and operating system.

• osprey4

Hi William Stevens,

Sorry but this thread is getting a bit out of hand trying to help several people with different operating systems. I'm going to suggest you start your own thread. Please be sure to provide the model of your Dell and operating system.

Understand that in Win 8 the "System Image" backup, which is the best way to fully back up your system for emergency recovery that will not require reinstalling all purchased programs, is under "Windows 7: tools. "System Image" backup also attempts to backup the factory installed improperly configured partition, and that is the problem. The "Windows 7 File Recovery" language does NOT mean that the OS is Win 7. It just means that the tool found on a menu of tools that MS does not want to be confused with the backup tool that is new to Win 8 and is great for silently backing up and restoring user file but not installed programs. I believe that the problem is probably limited to Dell Win 8 because that is the only system with the factory installed improperly configured partition.

• If your error shows #80780119, Dell Win8 includes a 500 Mb has a hidden recovery partition labeled WINRETOOLS that, on my machine, has 227Mb that must be backed up. Windows requires more free space than that on a 500Mb or larger disk. My solution was use the free download bootable disk version of "Partition Wizard" ( www.partitionwizard.com/download.html ) or similar program to reduce the size of the 500Mb partition to 490Mb. Going under the 500Mb limit sharply reduces the free space required from 320Mb to 50Mb and all is good to go. The Windows partition program won't touch it because Dell created it.

• If the snap-in tool in Windows 8 could not help you back up partition, you could try other third-party software, like AOMEI Data Backuper which is free backup software, and  here you could find more details information rom the offcial web site

www.aomeitech.com/aomei-data-backuper.html