CD/DVD TSST Corp TS-H653H ATA Not Recognised

Disk Drives

Disk Drives
Disk Drives (Floppy, USB, HDD, CD/DVD/BD) discussion

CD/DVD TSST Corp TS-H653H ATA Not Recognised

This question is answered

I have had an Inspiron 620 for just over one year and I am unable to read any CD/DVD, on Device Manager I get the following message:

Windows cannot start this hardware device because its configuration information (in the registry) is incomplete or damaged. (Code 19)

I have tried to download the driver form the Dell Download site but have failed on numerous occassions... need help urgently

Verified Answer
  • As previously posted, if the "Fixit" does not work, scroll down the Microsoft page and follow the manual instructions for your operating system.

support.microsoft.com/.../982116

The problem you are experiencing is not a hardware problem, it is a Windows software issue.  The manual instructions for Windows 7 ............

1. Click Start, and then click All Programs.
    2. Click Accessories, and then click Run.
    3. Type regedit, and then click OK.  If you are prompted for an administrator password or for a confirmation, type the password, or click Allow.
    4. In the navigation pane, locate and then click the following registry subkey:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}

5. In the right pane, click UpperFilters.

Note You may also see an UpperFilters.bak registry entry. You do not have to remove that entry. Click UpperFilters only. If you do not see the UpperFilters registry entry, you still might have to remove the LowerFilters registry entry. To do this, go to step 8.

6. On the Edit menu, click Delete.
    7. When you are prompted to confirm the deletion, click Yes.
    8. In the right pane, click LowerFilters.

Note If you do not see the LowerFilters registry entry, unfortunately this content cannot help you any further. Go to the "Next Steps" section for information about how you can find more solutions or more help on the Microsoft Web site.

9. On the Edit menu, click Delete.
    10. When you are prompted to confirm the deletion, click Yes.
    11.Exit Registry Editor.
    12.Restart the computer.

All Replies
  • Hi gabbleratchet 

Welcome to Dell Community.

Well it seems to quite annoying when the computer doesn’t works fine. I can certainly help you out with few steps hoping that would fix the problem.
    -- Run the Microsoft Fix it from the link: http://support.microsoft.com/mats/cd_dvd_drive_problems/
    -- Check if the Optical drive in the Device Manager, is in DMA mode or not.
    -- Run the PC Checkup from the Start-All Programs-PC Checkup.
    Or PSA test. Shutdown the pc. Press FN+Power Button and it would run the PSA. test. And check if it gives any kind of error code . If you do, please let me know.
    -- Download and Install the Latest Optical Drive Firmware and BIOS from support site.  http://www.dell.com/support/drivers/us/en/19/DriversHome/NeedProductSelection?fkey=Drivers_PS
    -- Lastly u can also try booting from the OS Disk if you have it.
    Insert the disk and restart the computer keep tapping F12 and select the CD/DVD group from the Boot Menu. And check if you can boot from the Disk.
    Please try out the steps and let me know, would be glad to help you further.

Thank You,

Thanks & Regards
    Allan D
    #iworkfordell
    To know more about Dell Product Support, Drivers & Downloads, Order & Dispatch status -> choose your region USIndia. For Dell support videos click Here.

If a post answers your question, please click "Yes".

• Hi Allan,

Thanks for the quick reply. You will have to bear with me as I am not fully conversant with PCs (hence me buying a Dell on family recommendation) but I do not understand what DMA mode is.

I am seeing this error on Device Manager

Windows cannot start this hardware device because its configuration information (in the registry) is incomplete or damaged. (Code 19)

Regards

Mike (gabbleratchet)

• gabbleratchet, try this Microsoft Article ........

If the "FixIt" does not work, scroll down the page and follow the manual instructions for your operating system.

Don't worry about the DMA.

• I have run the Microsoft Fix It program and this has not resolved the problem and I have received the following message:

I am running Windows 7 SP 1

I am NOT impressed as I have only had this PC for just over a year (purchased 19th July 2011) and for the CD not to work is just not right.

• As previously posted, if the "Fixit" does not work, scroll down the Microsoft page and follow the manual instructions for your operating system.

The problem you are experiencing is not a hardware problem, it is a Windows software issue.  The manual instructions for Windows 7 ............

1. Click Start, and then click All Programs.
    2. Click Accessories, and then click Run.
    3. Type regedit, and then click OK.  If you are prompted for an administrator password or for a confirmation, type the password, or click Allow.
    4. In the navigation pane, locate and then click the following registry subkey:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}

5. In the right pane, click UpperFilters.

Note You may also see an UpperFilters.bak registry entry. You do not have to remove that entry. Click UpperFilters only. If you do not see the UpperFilters registry entry, you still might have to remove the LowerFilters registry entry. To do this, go to step 8.

6. On the Edit menu, click Delete.
    7. When you are prompted to confirm the deletion, click Yes.
    8. In the right pane, click LowerFilters.

Note If you do not see the LowerFilters registry entry, unfortunately this content cannot help you any further. Go to the "Next Steps" section for information about how you can find more solutions or more help on the Microsoft Web site.

9. On the Edit menu, click Delete.
    10. When you are prompted to confirm the deletion, click Yes.
    11.Exit Registry Editor.
    12.Restart the computer.

• Thanks Skybird, I had to use the manual fix by removing the registry entry as you stated, Optical Drive now working Big Smile

• Glad you got things sorted.  Best regards.