XPS 8500 Adding Second HDD and Second Optical Drive

Disk Drives

Disk Drives
Disk Drives (Floppy, USB, HDD, CD/DVD/BD) discussion

XPS 8500 Adding Second HDD and Second Optical Drive

This question is answered

I will be ordering an XPS 8500 with one HDD and one Optical Drive (both yet to be determined).  I will be adding an additional HDD and an additional Optical Drive.  As I understand, there is one Sata3 connector which I assume is already occupied by the primary HDD.  There should be three Sata2 connectors, one occupied by the primary Optical Drive.  Are the remaining Sata2 connectors then available for my new additions??

What additional data / power cables will I need to supply?

Thanks!

Verified Answer
  • Hi Husker77,

Welcome to the community.

The system has two 5.25-inch bays for tray-load SATA DVD+/-RW or Blu-ray Disc reader (optional) or Blu-ray Disc writable (optional) and two 3.5-inch bays for SATA hard drives (Internally accessible),

One mSATA SSD Drive (Internally accessible). There are Four 7-pin connectors (1 x SATA III, 3 x SATA II) where you can install the drives. One SATA 3 connector is occupied by the primary hard drive and one SATA 2 connector is occupied by the Optical Drive. So yes, you can install a secondary hard drive and optical drive in the system. Regarding the power connectors, ideally they should be there in the system tower however in case they are not present, you may need to order the power connectors separately.

Let me know of the findings, Glad to be of assistance.

Chiranjeev

Social Outreach Professional

You can reach us at http://en.community.dell.com/

Thanks & Regards
    Chiranjeev S
    #iwork fordell 
    To know more about Dell’s products, services and drivers & downloads, please go to http://dell.to/YBlak6

All Replies
  • Yes, there will be two available SATA ports and the power connectors will be there.  You will need to supply two SATA cables for the additions.  

• Hi Husker77,

Welcome to the community.

The system has two 5.25-inch bays for tray-load SATA DVD+/-RW or Blu-ray Disc reader (optional) or Blu-ray Disc writable (optional) and two 3.5-inch bays for SATA hard drives (Internally accessible),

One mSATA SSD Drive (Internally accessible). There are Four 7-pin connectors (1 x SATA III, 3 x SATA II) where you can install the drives. One SATA 3 connector is occupied by the primary hard drive and one SATA 2 connector is occupied by the Optical Drive. So yes, you can install a secondary hard drive and optical drive in the system. Regarding the power connectors, ideally they should be there in the system tower however in case they are not present, you may need to order the power connectors separately.

Let me know of the findings, Glad to be of assistance.

Chiranjeev

Social Outreach Professional

You can reach us at http://en.community.dell.com/

Thanks & Regards
    Chiranjeev S
    #iwork fordell 
    To know more about Dell’s products, services and drivers & downloads, please go to http://dell.to/YBlak6

• One caveat that you probably already know. Add one drive at a time, not both at the same time. It is easier to troubleshoot one change if there is any problem. Also run the computer for a couple of days or a week before adding anything to make sure the computer is OK and doesn't need any warranty support.

• Good reminder Mary!  So used to working on older machines where multiple items get fixed / replaced at the same time.  Need to take caution with this new one.  The first time the case gets opened will be to take inventory to assure I'll have everything I need when cages get pulled.  Have even taken digital pictures for the files since I can never remember which computer had what where.  Comes in handy when determining / replacing cable lengths or forgetting where you duct taped an extra HD when there weren't any mountings.

Just hoping the power supply doesn't go too soon!  Not comfortable with the 460W, but....

• I will have a 32 GB SSD, a 2 TB HD, and a CD/DVD drive.  I am planning to swap the 32 GB SSD for a 120 GB SSD.  Can I use the original 32 GB SSD by connecting it to the remaining SATA 2 connector?

• I can't answer that.  It would depend on the connectors.  The 120 GB SSD would have to have the same connector as the 32 GB for a swap.  To use the extra 32 GB as an extra HD in a SATA 2 slot would probably require an adaptor eg micro or mini to SATA.  I haven't bought or installed any SSD's.  Also, I'm not sure that an SSD in a Sata 2 port would yield significant performance over a regular HD (or even a 64 GB USB 3.0 storage device).

• Thanks, Husker77, your suggestions make sense.  My 8500 arrives next week so I'll try to figure how to add a 3rd drive.

• According to FedEx, mine should be here tomorrow.  After I get things setup and backed up, I'll pop the cover and take a look inside to see what awaits...  :)

• Husker 77 - if you like, you can e-mail me directly at <ADMIN NOTE: Email ID removed per TOU policy>

• @Husker77,

This is my first post in the Dell forums and I hope I am replying correctly.

My XPS 8500 X8500-4726BK (I7, 12gb, gt 640) arrives next week.  My question about adding a hard drive is:  Does the stock 460W power supply support a second hard drive comfortably? (The specific drive I wish to add is a TOSHIBA DT01ACA100 1TB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s).  Will the PS also support a second optical drive if I choose to add one later?

Thank you for the time you put in helping out your fellow users.  Smile

• Yes.  An extra hard drive and a second optical drive do not require any psu upgrade. It's high powered video cards that might require that.

• Thank you Mary G.  Have a great day!

• Post purchase, I have installed a 2tb WD green HD, an LG optical drive, and 8gb memory (16gb total).  I highly questioned the 460W power supply, but at the time of purchase (and possibly still), it was the only option.  So far - three months running - it has held.  Based upon my past experiences with power supplies (not just Dell's), I will be replacing it within 2 years.  I view the 460W power supply as the weakest link in my system.  Unfortunately, I found I couldn't trust the "chat" advisors.  If I asked the same question multiple times, I quite often received conflicting answers.  Not sure if the advisors were incompetent, or just wanting to "sell" their answers. Most consumers wouldn't know or understand the difference so Dell can skate by.  That said, I was never able to ascertain with 100% accuracy whether a higher wattage power supply was available at any price factory installed.

Installation of the HD, optical drive, and memory were straight forward.  You will have to supply your own SATA cables to connect to the motherboard.  The power cords already exist.  The fit of the SATA cables to the motherboard is very tight and took the longest (five minutes?) to install.

I had contemplated installing a USB 3.0 card for 3 additional ports, but settled on an external that supplied its own power via an external transformer.  I didn't want to push the internal power supply any further.  I have not added a SSHD, but there is room internally and a connector on the motherboard for the 5th SATA component.

I'm using the second 2TB HD for weekly backups with daily incremental along with temporary video projects.  When the video projects are complete, they are off-loaded to external USB drives.  I use Easeus Free for backing up most the family computers (5 of 7).  It does an adequate job and the price can't be beat.  I also like that I can load the images and retrieve files if necessary.  Two of the computers are offsite (at college), have their own local backups, and are backed up at home whenever they come home for dinner and laundry.  I have a variety of WD and Seagate 2 and 3 TB externals and a 750 gb HD attached to my Cisco router for short term file sharing.  I also use an old 250gb ide HD salvaged from an old computer (it uses a USB converter and has its own power supply) for storage of critical files kept in a totally separate location.

I know, long answer to a short question, but that's just my style :)

• Thank you for your thoughtful reply.  The power requirements of this generation of devices is much less than I got used to five years ago.  That's why think that the 460W PSU is probably fine in your case also.

• Has anyone tried to run two 2TB hard disks on the XPS 8500?  Is there room (a drive bay) available and room on the hard disk control to run two 2TB hard disks, PLUS one 256GB solid state drive and one DVD drive?