xps m1530 hard drive error 2000-146

Disk Drives

Disk Drives
Disk Drives (Floppy, USB, HDD, CD/DVD/BD) discussion

xps m1530 hard drive error 2000-146

This question is answered

did  self diagnoswis on my xps got error code 2000-146 also did pc doc check got 2 errors 1 was smart self read failed 2nd was whd 20 tried to do a pre boot disk check made it almost thru stage 4 and just stoped no error code nothing so i turned it off the only way it would let me i held down the power button till it went off. i tried everything before i did this ctrl alt esc--and ctrl alt delete it was basicly frose up tried the check disk again after letting it sit off for 2 hours same result was suggested to disconnect hd then reconnect havent tried that yet does not sound like a real solution has anybody tried this if so did it work?  also tried to restore back to date in past didnt bave any restore points,tried to do defrag on c and d c went fine d said 58% fragmented and would not or could not defrag also did virus scan with avg found 2 trojans were removed im at a loss please help 

Verified Answer
  • When the Diagnostics returns an error code of 2000-0146, it indicates the hard drive is failing.  Back-up your files and replace the drive.

• Hi Tring57,

Welcome to the community.

Error 2000-0146 relates to hard drive failure. However, in order to confirm the failure, I would suggest you to run the custom tests for the hard drive. This would let us know if the hard drive needs to be replaced or just requires a operating system re-install.

To run the Dell 32 Bit diagnostics, refer to the following link:

support.dell.com/.../document

Once the diagnostics Windows is open, choose 'Custom Test' and then select 'Hard Drive'.

Kindly revert with the findings. Glad to help.

DELL-Gaurav Sh

Social Outreach Professional

You may reach us at: en.community.dell.com

Thanks and Regards,
    GauravS
    #iworkfordell

• Hi Tring57,

Error 2000-0146 relates to hard drive failure. However, in order to confirm the failure, I would suggest you to run the custom tests for the hard drive. This would let us know if the hard drive needs to be replaced or just requires a operating system re-install.

Once the diagnostics Windows is open, choose 'Custom Test' and then select 'Hard Drive'.

DELL-Gaurav Sh

Thanks and Regards,
    GauravS
    #iworkfordell

All Replies
  • When the Diagnostics returns an error code of 2000-0146, it indicates the hard drive is failing.  Back-up your files and replace the drive.

• Hi Tring57,

DELL-Gaurav Sh

Thanks and Regards,
    GauravS
    #iworkfordell

• Hi Tring57,

DELL-Gaurav Sh

Thanks and Regards,
    GauravS
    #iworkfordell

• I have the same problem. I can run the diagnostics, but I can't run the partition diagnostics. I have the above error message and all other diagnostics passed. I have had the computer since 2009 and warranty expired. No money. I tried to run the Windows XP installation disc, but the drive doesn't seem to be detecting it. I feel like if someone could walk me through this, it should be fixable. I don't see how the hard drive could be failing. But I am shut out of Dell tech support because I don't have money.

• Did you find out what was wrong?

• not really  i ended up having to sell it to get money to pay to get car out of pound when they towed it the guy who bought it emailed me back said some program had been deleted dont remember whitch one sorry cant help more

• Hi AliJordanBrown,

We can try a few troubleshooting steps before coming to a conclusion.

Please reseat the harddrive and run Custom test on the hard drive.

To reseat the hard drive of the computer please follow the steps from this link: http://bit.ly/12SAm0s

After reseating the harddrive please run custom test on the hard drive. Please follow the below mentioned steps to run custom test on hard drive.

1. Switch on the computer, tap F12 at dell logo to enter “One-time boot menu”.
    2. Use the up/down arrow keys to highlight “Diagnostics” and press enter.
    3. Select Custom Test and select hard drive.
    4. If the test fails, please capture the error code and let me know for the next course of action.

Please reply with results.

Thanks & Regards,
    Nikhil D
    #iworkfordell

To know more about Dell Product Support, Drivers & Downloads, Order & Dispatch status -> choose your region US Customers; India Customers. For Dell Support videos click Here