Aftermarket SSD Installation in an XPS 8500

Disk Drives

Disk Drives
Disk Drives (Floppy, USB, HDD, CD/DVD/BD) discussion

Aftermarket SSD Installation in an XPS 8500

This question is not answered

Hi...I'm new to the Dell community and hope someone can help me out.

Recently received this XPS 8500 via Costco:

http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product.aspx?Prodid=11758861&whse=BC&Ne=5000001+4000000&eCat=BC|84|56671&N=4047237%204294967022&Mo=14&No=5&Nr=P_CatalogName:BC&Ns=P_Price|1||P_SignDesc1&lang=en-US&Sp=C&topnav=

Now I'm installing this Samsung 128gb SSD . (This is my first time doing an after-market HD install).

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820147134

I have the Samsung SATA Data cable hooked up to the computer, but the Samsung SATA power cable has a 4-pin molex connector. I see no input for that on the XPS.

The power cables for the Dell-installed hard drive and blu-ray drive have 1/2 of the wires leading to the inside of the power supply and the other 1/2 with a connector just hanging there attached to nothing.

My question...do I attach that "extra" power cable from the Dell-HDD drive to the Samsung to power it that way? 

Thanks.

All Replies
  • Edit, sorry, Firebird is correct.

• The drive shown has a standard SATA power connector, not an older PATA (IDE). The drive comes with an extra adapter cable to connect to PATA power if needed.  That is not the REQUIRED connection.  Use the standard SATA power connection.  

Be sure to use SATA Port 0 as that is the only SATA III port on the 8500, the other SATA ports are SATA II.

I am not a Dell Employee

Dell forum member since 2002

Home Built PC with Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UD5H motherboard, i7 3770 CPU,  Windows 7 64 bit Home/Win 8.1.  SSD drive.  Sonar X3c 64 bit Recordng Software.

Member of Nashville based R.O.P.E.

• Thanks. I ended up not using the power cable that came with the new drive and used the extra connector that was hanging off the already installed HDD. I didn't realize that two drives can be powered off that same line...I thought that each drive had to have its own separate power connection.

"Be sure to use SATA Port 0 as that is the only SATA III port on the 8500, the other SATA ports are SATA II."

Aren't Port 0 and Port 1 SATA III's?

• No, ONLY port 0 is Sata III.  That is a hot issue.  A Dell rep made a post about the documentation being wrong:

Hi,

I apologize on Dell's behalf. There is a mistake on the online manual, and we have reported to the product team. Below is the actual configuration off our training manual for the XPS 8500

This system has 1 x Sata Revision 3.0 (SATA 6 Gbits/s ) and 3 X SATA Revison 2.0 (SATA 3 Gbits/s ) Connectors. The following table illustrates the SATA Port Configurations.

SATA Revision                                           Connector
    SATA Revision 2.0 ( Sata 3 Gbits/s )       SATA1, SATA2 and SATA3
    SATA Revision 3.0 ( Sata 6 Gbits/s )                     SATA0

Thank you

Royan S

Global SMaC (Social Media and Communities)

Forum Liaison

I am not a Dell Employee

Dell forum member since 2002

Home Built PC with Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UD5H motherboard, i7 3770 CPU,  Windows 7 64 bit Home/Win 8.1.  SSD drive.  Sonar X3c 64 bit Recordng Software.

Member of Nashville based R.O.P.E.