HDD recovery function

Disk Drives

Disk Drives
Disk Drives (Floppy, USB, HDD, CD/DVD/BD) discussion

HDD recovery function

This question is not answered

my son's inspirion 17 notebook is displaying the blue screen of death and i can't restart in safe mode.  I am ready to just reformat the system.  It is my understanding that there is a partition on the HDD where the installation software for  windows 7 sits.. how do i access this partition to reinstall windows 7?

All Replies
  • Press F8 a few times after powering the system on.  Before you do the restore, run a full diagnostic (f12 at powerup) on the drive - there's a good chance the drive is failing, in which case a restore will also fail.

• Hi Larissa R

Welcome to the Community. Since you are written that there is a Blue screen error on your son’s system, this can be software or the hardware issue. To determine whether it is software or the hardware issue I would suggest you to provide us with the exact error code that you get on the screen. That will help us to provide with a clear picture on the issue. Also you can run the diagnostics on the system to determine the root cause of the problem in case its  hardware.

You can follow the steps in the link to run the diagnostics: http://tinyurl.com/7ewqyty

Secondly would like to inform you that you are right that there is a factory image provided on the system in a hidden partition. Would recommend you to use the factory image rather than opting for a clean reinstallation on the system. As that would save your time and also would install the factory image with all the drivers and software without any Hassel. For more information, please follow: http://tinyurl.com/63x5w6u

FYI to get the system formatted by the help of partition available on the HDD follow steps below:

1.Tap F8 key number of times as soon as you power on the system.

2.On the screen (Advanced boot options) which you get there need to opt for the last option that can be repair my computer which will help you to get your system back to the factory settings.

Note: This is only possible if the HDD of the system has not been crashed.

Hope this helps,

Thank you

Dell – Jaswinder S

Dell | Social Media Outreach | Global Social Media & Community