How to replace hard drive without a recovery disk

Disk Drives

Disk Drives
Disk Drives (Floppy, USB, HDD, CD/DVD/BD) discussion

How to replace hard drive without a recovery disk

This question is not answered

My hard drive has crashed in my Inspiron 1764 with Windows 7.  It wil not run Windows Repair (hangs at blue screen), will not start windows normally (unmountable boot volume error), and fails a disk drive scan.  Unfortunately, I did not make recovery disks when I got the computer (lesson learned for next time, I suppose).  First, is there anything specific I need to look at in picking a HDD replacement?  I have an SATA, and will just replace with the same, but am not sure if there is anything else that could create compatibility issues.  Second, how can I get Windows 7 put back on my new hard drive if I did not make a recovery disk?  Will dell send me a disk if I request it? Can I buy a HDD that is already formatted and loaded so I just have to plug it in?  All of the Dell articles refer to options I cannot use (Dell data safe local won't run, I can't run Windows repair, can't start in safe mode, etc).  Thanks in advance for anyone who can help. 

All Replies
  • 2005mustang

I doubt that Dell will sell you a hard drive, that's preloaded with Windows 7 and the drivers.

If you reside in the US and are the registered owner of the computer, a disc containing the factory-installed operating system specific to your system, can be requested from HERE.

Note: Dell may make a charge for the disc.

If you don't reside in the US, contact Dell's Technical Support that's located in your country. 

Bev.

If my answer was helpful, please use the 'Did this answer the question' and click: Yes
    Forum Member since 2001
    I am not employed by Dell

• Bev,

Thanks for your reply.  It was very helpful, although I must admit I can't say that my problem has been resolved.  After submitting a web form for a recovery disk, I found out that I had to call and order one since my computer is out of warranty.  I was told the disk was in stock and was very cheap ($9 including shipping).  Unfortunately, I got a message a few days later that it wasn't actually in stock but is "in production"  It has now been in production for 2 weeks with no end in sight.  

I must admit this is surprising that I can have such inconsistent support from Dell.  When I bought this PC, the hard drive crashed within 2 weeks.  They replaced it under warranty, and I was good to go.  Of course the hard drive has failed again 1.5 years later.  

So here I sit - waiting for my recovery disks from Dell.  Disks that they could likely manufacture in a matter of pressing a mouse button about 5 times.  But still no disks.  At least my ASUS computer is still working, and has no hard drive failures at all.  

I'll give this a little more time, but I don't understand the delay at all.  I guarantee that if I can't get a simple recovery disk from Dell, though, thiis will be the last Dell that I buy.  Hopefully I'll have something more positive to say within the next few weeks (or days if they know how to treat custoemrs).

• 2005mustang

Frankly, I'm surprised that Dell does not have the Windows 7 reinstallation DVD in stock, as it's the current operating system being installed on their new computers.

Maybe it would be worth contacting Dell again.

You might be able to purchase the DVD from third party vendors, it must be the same version of Windows 7 that was factory installed.

http://www.google.com/#hl=en&sugexp=erf1&gs_nf=1&cp=30&gs_id=3p&xhr=t&q=Dell+Windows+7+reinstallation+dvd&pf=p&sclient=psy-ab&oq=Dell+Windows+7+reinstallation+&aq=0&aqi=g4&aql=f&gs_l=&pbx=1&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.,cf.osb&fp=5a5a214457b2c2ae&biw=1108&bih=557

Bev.

If my answer was helpful, please use the 'Did this answer the question' and click: Yes
    Forum Member since 2001
    I am not employed by Dell