Targeted Read Test Failure

Disk Drives

Disk Drives
Disk Drives (Floppy, USB, HDD, CD/DVD/BD) discussion

Targeted Read Test Failure

• I have a Dell Inspiron laptop and ran PC Checkup. It failed Targeted Read Test error code WHD20-SJQ - what does this mean and should I be concerned?

• Hi mjs207,

That error indicates a problem with your hard drive. My suggestion would be to confirm this result by testing the drive using the Dell diagnostics on your drivers and utilities disc. This way, you are not testing the hard using the hard drive. To test your hard drive using your Dell Drivers and Utilities disc:
    1. Reboot your system. When you see the Dell logo, hit F12 to enter the boot menu.
    2. Insert the Dell Drivers and Utilities disc in your CD/DVD drive.
    3. Pick the option to boot from the CD/DVD drive.
    4. You will be prompted to hit any key to continue booting from the CD/DVD drive.
    5. You will be prompted to hit 1 to run the Dell diagnostics. You may see two such menus.
    6. Select Test System.
    7. Select Custom Test.
    7. Use the arrow keys or mouse to select your hard drive.
    9. Click Run Tests.
    10. Write down any error messages.

• I ran the Dell Drivers and Utilities disc and it failed the read testing, seek testing verify testing, confidence testing in the same block of locations 331905218 - 350564162 Can't read, replace disk. In the end testing a msg: SCSI-0-000_disk_generic_multicard target not ready came up. Is this a serious issue or is it fixable

• Time for a new drive then. Is your warranty still in effect? Do you need help with the replacement?

• the laptop is just over a year old.  how long is the warranty on the drive?

• The warranty on the drive is the system warranty - if the system is in warranty, so is the drive.  If it's out of warranty, so is the drive.