3rd Hard Drive on XPS 8300 Desktop

Disk Drives

Disk Drives
Disk Drives (Floppy, USB, HDD, CD/DVD/BD) discussion

3rd Hard Drive on XPS 8300 Desktop

This question is answered

Hi all! Is there a way to connect a third hard drive to my XPS 8300 Desktop? So far it seems I only have the Optical Disk Drive bay available but the HDD screw holes will not align. Please help!

Verified Answer
  • Installing 3 hard drives is absolutely possible in the Dell XPS 8300.  I just successfully did it.  I put the details with photos in another post here:  en.community.dell.com/.../20015274.aspx

As for the part suggested above, that is if you want to put the hard drive into the spare CD/DVD-ROM slot.  Because that slot is wider than a hard drive you would need brackets to make it fit.  The solution is to use the flexbay slot which is located just above the hard drive slot.  Even though the screw holes are not aligned with a hard drive in this slot, you don't need to screw it in because it's a very tight snug fit.  It takes firm pressure to move the hard drive so it will not be moving around.

Hope this helps someone...

All Replies
  • kikokakuki

Hi all! Is there a way to connect a third hard drive to my XPS 8300 Desktop? So far it seems I only have the Optical Disk Drive bay available but the HDD screw holes will not align. Please help!

kikokakuki

Bev.

If my answer was helpful, please use the 'Did this answer the question' and click: Yes
    Forum Member since 2001
    I am not employed by Dell

• I'm thinking about getting the XPS 8300 but I also want to know if it's possible to put in 3 hard drives.  Kikokakuki, if you're planning to use your disk drive bay for a 3rd hard drive, then which bay does your disk drive go into?  Is there an extra bay that holds a disk drive?    

Did you take the advice of shesagordie and buy that part?

• Installing 3 hard drives is absolutely possible in the Dell XPS 8300.  I just successfully did it.  I put the details with photos in another post here:  en.community.dell.com/.../20015274.aspx

As for the part suggested above, that is if you want to put the hard drive into the spare CD/DVD-ROM slot.  Because that slot is wider than a hard drive you would need brackets to make it fit.  The solution is to use the flexbay slot which is located just above the hard drive slot.  Even though the screw holes are not aligned with a hard drive in this slot, you don't need to screw it in because it's a very tight snug fit.  It takes firm pressure to move the hard drive so it will not be moving around.

Hope this helps someone...