Dell Inspiron 530 Hard Drive Replacement & OS Installation

Disk Drives

Disk Drives
Disk Drives (Floppy, USB, HDD, CD/DVD/BD) discussion

Dell Inspiron 530 Hard Drive Replacement & OS Installation

This question is not answered

Hi

I have recently had a problem in loading the Viata operating software. I ran Dell diagnostics and found that I have a fault on the hard drive (Failed Read Test).

I have started looking into changing the hard drive and if I am right, the windows installation files are in a partition drive D:. I have a "brown operating system" disk for re-installing the OS.

My question is:

How do I load the OS onto the new drive if the existing drive is removed?

Do you need to copy the OS files onto the the new drive first and then use the "brown" disk?

Is the "brown" disk a bootable disk and will this format and partition the new drive.

Thanks

All Replies
  •  Al Inspiron 530

The 'Brown' disc should be a Dell Vista Reinstallation DVD, that is the same as the retail Vista DVD, except it's tied to the Dell BIOS.

Yes, the DVD is bootable and the hard drive can partitioned and formatted as part of the installation.

The details of the procedures for a Manual Reinstall of Vista, using the Dell Vista reinstallation DVD, are HERE

Bev.

If my answer was helpful, please use the 'Did this answer the question' and click: Yes
    Forum Member since 2001
    I am not employed by Dell

• Hi Bev

Thanks for this, it is now clear what I need to do.

Changing the hard drive seems now to be straight forward, wish me luck Smile

Thanks again

Al

•  Al Inspiron 530

You are welcome and if you have any issues, post back.

Bev.

If my answer was helpful, please use the 'Did this answer the question' and click: Yes
    Forum Member since 2001
    I am not employed by Dell