Forums

Disk Drives

Disk Drives
Disk Drives (Floppy, USB, HDD, CD/DVD/BD) discussion

SD card stuck in CD drive - Dell Studio Laptop

This question is answered

Last night I stupidly put my SD camera card into my laptop CD drive. It was dark and I pushed it into the first hole I found.

I've tried jiggling it out but it seems to be wedged in there. When I put a disk in it makes a noise as if something is preventing the disk reader from rotating. I think it can still read CD's and seems undamaged because it recognises that there isn't a disk in there when I click on the disk drive icon in 'my computer' and it eventually allows me to eject them.

I'm just wondering if it is an easy job to remove the SD card and will it be covered under my warranty as the laptop is only a month old. 

If I called Dell in the morning would they need to take the laptop away for a week to do the job and in doing so would the optical reader be broken? 

I am also concerned that if I send it away to Dell, they wouldn't send me the SD card back. I have precious photos on it that I would need to have back.

If anyone can help, I would be very grateful.

Verified Answer
  • Don't laugh I have seen this kind of thing work: Get an old CD/DVD, tightly as possible wrap some scotch tape on the edge -> sticky side out, then gently go fishing for the SD card. I would do this with the system OFF! you don't want the drive to suck in the tape and make matters worse than they already are.

Be careful and you might just get lucky.

Jeff Beer

XPS 8100 i7-860(8MB Cache, 2.8GHz), 8GB Dual Channel DDR3 SDRAM @ 1333MHz, 750GB SATA 3.0GB/s 16MB Cache, nVidia GeForce GTS2401GB GDDR3, Dell ST2310 Full HD Widescreen Monitor, AverMedia G2 Combo hybrid TV Tuner, dual 16x DVD+/- RW dbl layer, Microsoft LifeCam Cinema HD, Running Windows 7 Home Premium, 64 bit. 

If your question is answered here on the forums; PLEASE post back! It may help another user.              

All Replies
  • Don't laugh I have seen this kind of thing work: Get an old CD/DVD, tightly as possible wrap some scotch tape on the edge -> sticky side out, then gently go fishing for the SD card. I would do this with the system OFF! you don't want the drive to suck in the tape and make matters worse than they already are.

Be careful and you might just get lucky.

Jeff Beer

XPS 8100 i7-860(8MB Cache, 2.8GHz), 8GB Dual Channel DDR3 SDRAM @ 1333MHz, 750GB SATA 3.0GB/s 16MB Cache, nVidia GeForce GTS2401GB GDDR3, Dell ST2310 Full HD Widescreen Monitor, AverMedia G2 Combo hybrid TV Tuner, dual 16x DVD+/- RW dbl layer, Microsoft LifeCam Cinema HD, Running Windows 7 Home Premium, 64 bit. 

If your question is answered here on the forums; PLEASE post back! It may help another user.              

• Any one from dell support who wants to answer this?  I have the same problem that is why i looked for a solution in the internet and found this site.

I hope Dell will give an answer. Thanks!

• Did you see Jeff's post?

• did you ever get it fixed? I just did the same exact thing stupidly... and now I'm kicking myself trying to find out how to fix it. I have dell accidental damage protection but I really just can't loose my computer for a couple weeks to send it to them to fix.

• I just tried it with the tape and a business card and it worked!

• i did the same thing. the sd cartd slot is right next to the cd drive and i put the sd card in without looking. i will try the tips! thanks!

• I did the same thing and my son said probably nobody else ever did something so stupid...but I had him wrap tape around a credit card and out popped the SD card.  Thanks!!