Disk drive won't open on my desktop

Disk Drives

Disk Drives
Disk Drives (Floppy, USB, HDD, CD/DVD/BD) discussion

Disk drive won't open on my desktop

This question is not answered

I have a Dell desktop where the disk drive will not open.  When I press the button, I hear the churning inside but the door just doesn't open.  Is there anything I can try before having to pay a professional?  I do not currently have a disk in there.  This has been going on for some time. First there were times when it would open after a few tries but now, nothing...except for hearing it turn inside. I"ve already tried going to My Computer & using the "eject disk" option.

Thanks

All Replies
  • I assume you mean your CD or DVD drive, but if not, please clarify.

It would help if you posted what Dell model (what's written on the front of the PC) you have.

Off hand:

- try it without the front bezel (assuming you have a model that has a removable front bezel)

- disconnect the data cable and power up the PC again and see if the drive will eject the tray

- if not, odds are you have a bad drive. If you're under warranty, call it in to Dell support. If not, buy a replacement. Without more detail about your system and drive, it's impossible to say if you need an ATA or SATA model.

Member since 2003

• Oops, sorry...yes, I meant my CD drive.  It's a few years old(but still running strong I might add)...it's a Dell Dimension 3000.  If I am unable to do it after what you suggest and have to buy a new one, are they expensive?

Thanks for the quick reply!

• Hi, You should have an small hole next to your CD Drive tray. What you do is straighten out an paper clip, and use that to open your draw, to get your CD out. They are cheap enough to buy, see here.

If my answer Was helpful?  Please let me know by clicking on the 'Did this answer your question' and clicking on the Yes button.  Thanks.

• yjohnson94 

No, DVD/CD/RW drives are not expensive, the Dimension 3000 only support IDE drives, like the drives shown HERE

Bev.

If my answer was helpful, please use the 'Did this answer the question' and click: Yes
    Forum Member since 2001
    I am not employed by Dell

• Thanks for your suggestions & help.  I tried to push whatever little hole I saw & I don't think it worked. I still hear & even see the little wheels thru the gaps turning/jerking about but the door just won't open.  I'm posting a pic of the front of my cpu ..you can barely see the little pin size whole..it's on the bottom left..that's what I tried using a safety pin.

So I may have to just get another. 

Bev, So I need a new one that supports IDE?  From the link you posted with the list of different ones, will I be okay ordering any of them from the list? I see that Sony makes a "slim" design.  Would I be okay ordering that one, will there be a gap because it does not appear that I currently have a slim drive.  After looking at the pic, will I be okay changing it out myself? 

Here is the pic. I hope it comes thru.               Thanks again you guys for your reply.

• yjohnson94 

Yes, you need an IDE drive and 'Slim' optical drives are not compatible with the Dimension 3000.

Check out the DVD/CD drive HERE

The directions for replacing the Dimension 3000 5.25" DVD/CD drive, are HERE

Bev.

If my answer was helpful, please use the 'Did this answer the question' and click: Yes
    Forum Member since 2001

• im the same it broken and i trad to open it and the light out came on   

• the same

• Mcharrys2477

im the same it broken and i trad to open it and the light out came on   

Mcharrys2477

What is broken?

Also, please post the computer model and version of windows.
    Bev.

Forum Member since 2001