replacing hard drive on Inspiron 531s

Disk Drives

Disk Drives
Disk Drives (Floppy, USB, HDD, CD/DVD/BD) discussion

replacing hard drive on Inspiron 531s

This question is not answered

I have an Inspiron 531s that was pre-loaded with Windows Vista. I've ordered another hard drive since the present one stopped working for me. In a mind-numbing 'senior moment' it occured to me the question about loading software on the new drive. I do have the discs that came with the computer that have the back up for Vista, the device drivers and other software. My question is ... are these discs good enough ( have enough information on them ) to restore my computer back to working order? Also, when starting to load the software ( especially the OS ) is it just like loading any other program? Any help on this would be appreciated. I haven't received the order yet but am trying to anticipate any possible problems. Thanks

All Replies
  • Not exactly. The operating system is not a program so you'll need to boot to the reinstallation disk for vista and prepare the drive and install vista first. Instructions for a manual install are Here.  The disks you have are fine, but you can get any driver updates you might need from Dell Support Downloads. Some will be more up to date than those on your driver and utilities disk.

• Thanks for the reply, Mary. I went to the link you had provided and I'm assuming that I'll have to do the ' Manual Installation ' method for the new hard drive. Previously, I had tried to do the System Restore and PC Restore but the computer wasn't ' seeing ' the hard drive at all. Hence, the new purchase of one. By the looks of it, I'll be occupied for some time getting this machine back to working order. Again, thanks for your reply and have a great day!