Inspiron 530 Primary HDD upgrade to SSD

Disk Drives

Disk Drives
Disk Drives (Floppy, USB, HDD, CD/DVD/BD) discussion

Inspiron 530 Primary HDD upgrade to SSD

This question is answered

I have an Inspiron 530 that I'm going to put Windows 7 on. I thought that rather than trying to upgrade the OS, I'd add an new primary drive to do a clean install of 7 on and make my existing drive the secondary drive for data. Along the same thought process, I thought going with an Solid State Drive for the primary drive would give an additional performance boost.

Does anyone know of any "gotchas" that would keep me from using a SSD as my primary drive on my 530?

Verified Answer
  • Hi Dhorlo, All hard drives now are plug 'n' play, which includes the new SSD  drives, so you will have no problems using that drive on an 530.

If my answer Was helpful?  Please let me know by clicking on the 'Did this answer your question' and clicking on the Yes button.  Thanks.

All Replies
  • Hi Dhorlo, All hard drives now are plug 'n' play, which includes the new SSD  drives, so you will have no problems using that drive on an 530.

If my answer Was helpful?  Please let me know by clicking on the 'Did this answer your question' and clicking on the Yes button.  Thanks.

• Thanks Robin. I had read on some other forums of motherboards needing BIOS updates before the SSDs could be used. Hopefully the 530 is not one of them.

• how do i mount the smaller ssd drive which is 2.5" in the existing drive bay which is 3.5 "?? can i use the generic adapter sleds /bays or do i need a special dell proprietary adapter to mount it in the 530? looking at my current hdd it seems to mount at the top of the hdd with 4 screws instead of on the side.
  • salsaguy

I installed my SSD in the floppy drive/reader 3.5" bay of the 530 MT, using a bracket similar to this:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817986011

Bev.

If my answer was helpful, please use the 'Did this answer the question' and click: Yes
    Forum Member since 2001
    I am not employed by Dell

• Silverstone adapter that features all the mount points of a standard 3.5-inch drive.

• Hey, did you have any issues installing your SSD? Did you do a clean windows install or clone your old HDD thanks. I am doing a clone which I have been told is ok to do but when I try to boot from the SSD after enabling RAID it doesn't boot, any ideas? Mine is an inspiron 530.

• I didn't have any problems using a SSD and I did do a clean install. I've since replaced this with a new PC that also uses a SSD. I haven't run into any problems with using SSD drives but I've never tried one in conjunction with a RAID configuration. 

• What if any changes did you have to do in the bios before booting it up with the SSD and doing a clean install with the Windows disk/thumb drive? Did you encounter any issues with the drivers? I will be going from Vista home premium 64 bit too win 7 64 bit. Thanks
  • What if any changes did you have to do in the bios before booting it up with the SSD and doing a clean install with the Windows disk/thumb drive? No changes to BIOS, clean install from Widows Disc.

Did you encounter any issues with the drivers? No.

I will be going from Vista home premium 64 bit too win 7 64 bit. I went to Win7 32-bit so I can't speak for the 64-bit version.