Installing a second hard drive on Studio XPS Desktop / Minitower

Disk Drives

Disk Drives
Disk Drives (Floppy, USB, HDD, CD/DVD/BD) discussion

Installing a second hard drive on Studio XPS Desktop / Minitower

This question is not answered

Hi,

I have the Studio XPS MiniTower (435MT), and I'd like to install a second SATA hard drive (I currently only have one), but there isn't anything I can find that tells you how to do this.

The dell service manual only talks about replacing the primary hard drive - http://support.euro.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/435MT/en/SM/drives.htm#wp1188656 so that doesn't help.

I'm reasonably competent with hardware and software but have never installed a hard drive before, and dell doesn't provide any instructions.

Any help would be much appreciated. Also, as I'm buying an OEM drive from the Internet, will I need cables and screws?

I didn't know whether to post this in the general hardware forum or the hard drive forum, so apologies!

All Replies
  • You really should open up your PC and see what you have inside.

If this is too much of a hassle, an external hard drive is the way to go.

my Dells:
    Precision M6300 - XP SP3 / Windows 7 / Ubuntu 12.04
    Latitude D620 - XP Pro SP3
    Precision M6300 - Windows 7

• spweb

Hi,

I have the Studio XPS MiniTower (435MT), and I'd like to install a second SATA hard drive (I currently only have one), but there isn't anything I can find that tells you how to do this.

The dell service manual only talks about replacing the primary hard drive - http://support.euro.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/435MT/en/SM/drives.htm#wp1188656 so that doesn't help.

I'm reasonably competent with hardware and software but have never installed a hard drive before, and dell doesn't provide any instructions.

Any help would be much appreciated. Also, as I'm buying an OEM drive from the Internet, will I need cables and screws?

I didn't know whether to post this in the general hardware forum or the hard drive forum, so apologies!

spweb

Answered HERE

Bev.

If my answer was helpful, please use the 'Did this answer the question' and click: Yes
    Forum Member since 2001
    I am not employed by Dell

• Hi,

Does anyone know if I can install a third hard drive in my Dell Studio XPS computer. I am now trying to install a 3rd hard drive in the media bay right under the optical drive that came with the computer, but the screw holes do not align. Do I need a bracket to do this? Is it even possible or do I need to go with an external bay for the internal drive that I already have?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Ryan

• Zebelhra

Assuming you have an XPS Studio435 Mini Tower.

How many SATA drives do you have installed, the 435MT motherboard only supports 4 SATA drives, how many are there installed?

You may find it easier to use a powered SATA USB enclosure for a third hard drive.

Bev.

If my answer was helpful, please use the 'Did this answer the question' and click: Yes
    Forum Member since 2001
    I am not employed by Dell

• Thanks for your help. I finally figured it out. It was my third drive. Now, I have another problem:

I have 3 drives on my computer. I have 1 640 GB drive that came with WIndows Vista 64-bit already installed on it. I installed 2 750GB black caviar drives in my computer and am trying to set them up as a RAID0. I created the RAID Volume, but am not able to get windows to see the drive. I have never done this before. A friend metioned that I should try to boot from the CD and do the repair option, but when I do that, the computer does not detect the drives, not anything to repair. I'm lost! Is it possible to do a hardware RAID set up on my computer? What do I need to do?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Ryan