Dell Inspiron 530 upgrade help

Disk Drives

Disk Drives
Disk Drives (Floppy, USB, HDD, CD/DVD/BD) discussion

Dell Inspiron 530 upgrade help

This question is not answered

I want to add a 2.5 inch SATA hard drive to my  Dell Inspiron 530, fitting it in the slot where a Floppy drive or card reader goes (its currently sitting empty).

I already have 2x 3.5 SATA hard drives in my computer so:

1) Would the power supply be able to handle a third hard drive, even if its a smaller laptop hard drive?

2) Would there be any problems with the motherboard (and BIOS)?

3) Where can I find a blank plastic panel to cover the hole in the front of the case?

I have an Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 processor and my motherboard has the model number 0FM586.

I dont have a graphics card so I know I'm saving power there.

Thanks for any help

All Replies
  • Hello Nimicitor

I would suggest you not to add a third hdd as this can degrade the system performance , I would rather suggest you to try an external HDD or you can replace the existing HDD with a larger Size HDD.

Coming to Your specific questions-

1-Yes  systems default  power supply can handle the third hard drive but you need to check for power supply connector availability.

2-there would be no issues with bios, however you can update the bios to latest version from dell support site www.support.dell.com

3-it is really hard to find the specific front panel for HDD which can suit both hdd and system front bezel , You can try some of the older desktops HDD front plastic panel. you can contact dell sales for this or you can  also contact dell OWR or search over ebay.com

Thanks

Kenney

<Admin note:Phone removed due to Tos violation>

Thanks and Regards

Kenney

Email-apulani@hotmail.com

• Hi, how would my system performance degrade if I add a third hard drive?

I have 4GB of RAM and each hard drive has a different operating system on so they are not always active.

I want to use the third drive for a third OS.

I have 1 spare SATA power lead and I just need to buy a new SATA data cable.

I have the latest BIOS update (1.0.18).

On the third point, I think we might have got confused, I'm looking for a 2.5" drive bay cover (see pic). I cant find one to fit anywhere, it seems like it will be easier to make one.

One more point, I am in the UK and not USA.

Kind regards