Dell Precision M50 ugrade HDD (Hard Drive)

Disk Drives

Disk Drives
Disk Drives (Floppy, USB, HDD, CD/DVD/BD) discussion

Dell Precision M50 ugrade HDD (Hard Drive)

• I have a computer: 

Dell Precision M50 

Chipset 845MP 

Bios A12 

Intel Pentium M 1.80 GHz 

RAM 512Mb 

HDD Hitachi IDE ATA 40 GB 5400

I want upgrade HDD.  

Does M50 support HDD on 160GB ?

• 2.5", 9.5 mm and parallel ATA only, 120G or smaller.

None of the C-chassis Dells of which this is one, support larger drives.

• May be is ways for support 160 GB HDD in my Dell Precision M50?

For example update Bios or other ways.
  • Read above - no.  The largest drive the BIOS will support - any version of the BIOS - is 120G.

• Read this and see on Description 

http://cgi.ebay.com/160GB-Hard-Drive-for-Dell-Inspiron-8100-8200-8500-8600_W0QQitemZ350106146363QQcategoryZ158852QQcmdZViewItem#ebayphotohosting

Compatibility with Precision M20, M40, M50, M60, M70 

???

• Ask the seller.  The BIOS on the system you have will show 137 Gbytes for the drive size, if the system boots at all - some of the C-series will not even boot reliably with a larger drive installed.

• Yes 160GB Hard Drive is fully compatible with your laptop
  • Seller answed "Yes, 160GB Hard Drive is fully compatible with your laptop"
  • It may work, but be sure your operating system supports it - the BIOS will report the drive at 137G.

• Hello James,

I was wondering if you ever had any luck finding a replacement Hard drive for your Dell--I am in desperate need of one! Do you have an alternative drive that'll work??

Let me know when you can and thanks for your time!

Cheers,

Jonas

• Hello EJN63 ,

I was wondering if you know where I might have any luck finding a replacement Hard drive for your Dell--I am in desperate need of one! Or any alternative drives that'll work??

Let me know when you can and thanks for your time!

Cheers,

Jonas

• For what model?

• Hello--I have it in the hands of a friend that diagnosed the problem for me, let me get ahold of him and I'll let you know ASAP. I know it is a Dell Precision M-50, anything else escapes me...the number 170 is in my mind for some reason, unsure if that helps--sorry.

Thanks for your prompt response!

Cheers,

Jonas

• I got the model, it is a PP01X Precision M-50. I have 1 GB of RAM currently, do you suggest I get another 1 GB to optimize speed? I do not do much high power computing--mostly browsing, poker, email and some shorter videos, however I'd like to stream  TV and movies eventually so wondering if that would be recommended. Also, if you know what type & where to get memory please let me know. It's my first laptop and a hand me down,about 8 years old I am not wanting to put too much money into it as something else may break but my uncle who gave it to me spent like 5 grand on this thing way back so I figure it's gotta perform pretty well. Per the hard drive replacement just looking for something in the 60-80 gb range as I have a USB 500 bg external drive. Thanks for your time and help!

Have a good weekend.

Cheers, Jonas

• I have a Dell Precision M50 laptop I need a hard drive for it what is the price of one or do I have to upgrade and if so to what type of hard drive?