Uncorrectable data error or media is write protected

Disk Drives

Disk Drives
Disk Drives (Floppy, USB, HDD, CD/DVD/BD) discussion

Uncorrectable data error or media is write protected

• I have a friend with a computer that won't boot up even in safe mode. He was having problems before this happened. He had told me his burner wasn't working and I realized that for whatever reason it wasn't installed (which was odd), so I installed it. After that, whenever he uploaded the images off his digital camera, the program to burn cd's automatically popped up. But it would freeze up a lot and he would have to hold the button in to shut it off. Then the last time it froze, he got a blue screen and couldn't boot back up again. I told him to try to boot back up in safe mode and he couldn't do that. So he did the "boot to utility partition test". He came up with the Error Message: Error code uncorrectable data error or media is write protected 0F00:0244.MSG:BLOCK6493422.

Does anyone have any idea what that means? What can I do to fix this and/or save any data on his hard drive?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.

• tjpatters

It would seem that your friend has a failed hard drive, he needs to replace the drive and reinstall windows, drivers and the applications.

Bev.

===================================================
    Please don't send me questions about your system by DCF Messenger.
    Post the issue in the appropriate Board, where they will be answered.

If my answer was helpful, please use the 'Did this answer the question' and click: Yes
    Forum Member since 2001
    I am not employed by Dell