TSSTcorp CDRWDVD TS-H493A is not working

Disk Drives

Disk Drives
Disk Drives (Floppy, USB, HDD, CD/DVD/BD) discussion

TSSTcorp CDRWDVD TS-H493A is not working

• I usually know what to do when it comes to these things but i have no idea how this happend, I came back from vacation and my noobie family had messed up the computer (Some computer guy came to fix the lost password and had to do a Factory Restart or something, now everything is lost and there's like a ton of spyware and probably viruses because they didn't install the norton protection)

I put a disk in the drive and it doesn't work,

I looked under my computer and the drive is not listed

I went into device manager and theres a notification sign on it and it says:
    Windows cannot load the device driver for this hardware. The driver may be corrupted or missing. (Code 39)

I checked for solutions but nothing happends

I checked for updateds but it said my system is up-to-date

I googled my problem and came to this site with a similar post called: Cannot Install Driver For Tsstcorp Cd/dvdw Sh-s162a Ata Device
    It said to uninstall driver then restart so i did and it tried but it said it did not install properly

So im stuck with the same problem, if anyone can please help i would really appreciate it
    Let me know if I need to att. the dxdiag log and how to attach it
    thank you
  • Try this article for Windows XP ...............

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314060/EN-US/

Try this article for Windows Vista ...........

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx/kb/929461

• In the Windows Vista article it says:

3. At the command prompt, change the directory to the directory to which you extracted the DevCon files.

I dont really understand what that means so in cmd I typed: C:\Users\Shalunyturns\Downloads\i386\DevCon.exe

Then I got: DevCon.exe Usage: DevCon.exe [-r] [-m:\\<machine.] <command> [<arg>...]

For more information type: DevCon.exe help

The article also says:

4. Type devcon stack gencdrom, and then press ENTER.

So then I typed: C:\Users\Shalunyturns\Downloads\i386\DevCon.exe devcon stack gencdrom

And I got the same message

Could someone explain what I have to do?

• Did you try the Resolution?  (Removing the UpperFilters and LowerFilters?)
  • yes did that step...i went into the registry and deleted the upper and lower filters

can you explain what the rest of the steps mean....?

Message Edited by shalunyturns on 09-25-2008 05:40 PM
  • The other Steps are not required.  It is intended for the
    technically curious folks.  Did the drive return to your
    system?  If yes, you are done and have the Solution.
  • WOW i feel so stupid!!!! Yes it did return, i was just getting confused because i wasn't seeing the same cdm messages as on the help page.

I apologize for being so incompetent; thank you so much!