Can I install 2.5 inch Scorpio SATA-300 Hard Drive in Dell™ Inspiron™ 1420 Laptop

Disk Drives

Disk Drives
Disk Drives (Floppy, USB, HDD, CD/DVD/BD) discussion

Can I install 2.5 inch Scorpio SATA-300 Hard Drive in Dell™ Inspiron™ 1420 Laptop

• Hi,

I have Dell™ Inspiron™ 1420/Dell Vostro™ 1400 with hard drive configuration HD,160G,SATA,9.5,5.4,W080. and Ubuntu 7.1 installed. Need to install a new Hard Drive with more space.

Just bought 2.5" Scorpio 320GB 5,400RPM SATA-300 Hard Drive with

• Interface Type: Serial ATA-300
    • Ports and Connectors: 7-pin Serial ATA Connector

Can I install the above 320 GB harddrive in Dell™ Inspiron™ 1420. Is 2.5" Scorpio 320GB 5,400RPM SATA-300 Hard Drive compatible with Dell™ Inspiron™ 1420.

As I tried searching the manual for Dell™ Inspiron™ 1420 to find out Interface Type, Ports and Connectors for the Hard Drive and what is the maximum size of Hard Drive I can use but can't find anything. As wanted to make sure if 2.5" Scorpio 320GB 5,400RPM SATA-300 Hard Drive will work fine in Dell™ Inspiron™ 1420 laptop.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks

• Yes, it will work just fine.

• I tried it but it didn't work. Looks like Dell Hard Drive connector PINS are sticking outside while the Scorpio drives are embedded on a flat panel. As the pins from Hard Drive has to fit inisde the slots on the laptop. Wondering what is the difference?

Thanks

• Remove the connector from the back of the original drive and mount it on the new one - you cannot connect the drive to the mainboard without this (Dell proprietary) part.

• The proprietary piece... are you talking about the mount to the outside of the laptop?  I am trying to install a new HD on my Inspiron 6400... The WD Sata drive i bought matches the pins on the OEM drive i am replacing.. However, I cannot get the Bios to register the new HD... Also, it is strange that when i boot up, it is asking for the HDD password for the hard drive.. THe OLD hard drive.  Any ideas to help?