(brand-new) hard disk drive 0 not found (Latitude D600)

Disk Drives

Disk Drives
Disk Drives (Floppy, USB, HDD, CD/DVD/BD) discussion

(brand-new) hard disk drive 0 not found (Latitude D600)

•  

======================================================

I know this has been discussed a lot but I haven't found a solution.

My laptop is a Dell Latitude D600, BIOS Version: A16

My HDD died last week, it was making weird noises so I did some backups.

Sure enough one morning I turned it on and it said "...hard disk drive 0 not found..."

So I thought right let's buy a new one, no big deal. This happens.

But to my horror, the brand-spanking-new HDD did the exact same thing to me!

Fresh from the anti-static package, straight into the cradle, with tender love.

"Primary hard disk drive 0 not found

No bootable devices--strike F1 to retry boot, F2 for setup utility"

Also, BIOS reads my "Primary Hard Drive:" as "None"

I've tried:-

- reseating (re-fixing to cradle, screw re-tightening, etc.)

- resetting BIOS (pressing ALT-F)

- isolation "Internal HDD" in the "Boot Order" (BIOS)

- booting WinXP CD to format (also tells me it can't detect a HDD)

- toyed and tweaked every BIOS setting possible

- ran diagnostics (yep, tells me it can't find a HDD)

- check temperature (not an issue at all)

I bought my D600 second-hand without any boot disks or manuals, and the private warranty is already up.

I'm going to try taking out the battery for a day to see if that will "flash BIOS" but I'm not sure that will help as (to my knowledge) the motherboard settings are kept stored with help from a small battery attached the actual motherboard which would be inside the casing, so I think that's a misunderstanding in another forum post, but I will try it out of desperation anyway. Next step would be to open up the casing and checking the IDE and removing the motherboard battery for 5-10 minutes.

After that, my only option will be to send it off to some local PC repair business. Ick.

Any help will be EXTREMELY appreciated! Thank you.

• I don't know the details of what kind of HDD the D600 will take, but there are two kinds of HDD's, PATA (the old IDE/EIDE) and the new SATA type.  The two hard drive types are not interchangeable.  See if there is a difference between the two HDD's in terms of interface.  If there is none and the laptop still will not see the HDD, there may be a problem with the motherboard of the laptop.

==================================================
    Inspiron 15R Laptop
    Intel Core i3-370M (2.4GHz, 4 Threads, 3MB cache) CPU
    4GB Shared Dual Channel DDR3 RAM
    500GB 5400rpm HDD
    15.6 Inch High Definition (720p) LED Display with TrueLife
    Intel HD Graphics
    Genuine Windows 7 Home Premium, 64bit
    Integrated 10/100 Network Card
    8X CD/DVD Burner (Dual Layer DVD+/-R Drive)
    Integrated High Definition Audio 2.2
    Dell Wireless 1501
    Integrated 1.3M Pixel Webcam
    6-Cell Lithium Ion Primary Battery
    PA-12 65W Power Adaptor (19.5V, 3.34A)
    ==================================================

• Did you remove the blade adapter from the back of the original drive, and place it over the pins on the new drive?

• Wow, crikey!  I can't believe how stupid I am!

I threw the adapter out along with my busted HDD, phew! Luckily I realised this as it was only days away from going off to the PC recyclers. Chucked it on and now everything works wonderfully. I read about this in other posts but for some reason didn't even thought it applied to mine, just because I didn't notice it before.

Thanks a million!

• Great advice!  I spent days with the same problem.  That was it, I had thrown away the blade adapter with the old drive.  Luckily the trash had not been picked up.  Thank you for the help!!!