How do I fix my corrupted partition table on a Dell Dimension 3000

Disk Drives

Disk Drives
Disk Drives (Floppy, USB, HDD, CD/DVD/BD) discussion

How do I fix my corrupted partition table on a Dell Dimension 3000

• 1. I used Partition Magic to split my Dell Dimension 3000 drive into 3 WIndows XP partitions 2. I used Acronis True Image 9 to try to load a drive image into the unallocated space 3. Acronis said my drive image is corrupt so it couldn't load 4. Then everything went to pot 5. I opened Partition Magic and I had 8 partitions of all sorts of sizes. PM reported I had 330 GB of data on my 145 GB HD. I only had 3 partitions. I knew something was wrong. 6. Next, I went into Windows XP Administrative Tools->Disk Manager. It also reported my partitions had gone mad. 7. Next I got the blue screen of death 8. I tried loading WIndows XP to repair the Windows Install. It said the disk wasn't accessible. I couldn't even delete the partition. So, here's what I think: 1. I think some combination of attempting to use PM and Acronis TI 9 jacked up my partition table. 2. I think the disk is just fine (no hardware problems). 3. I think the partition table is seriously corrupted 4. I think I need to rebuild the partition table. Have you heard of a product called Partition Table Doctor? Does it work? I could really use your advice on step by step help to solve this. I'm not sure if I should Fdisk the MBR, try to repair the partition table using PTD, try to repair using my Norton Partition Magic rescue disks, or go straight to your DSRutility programs. You mention over and over again NOT to touch the partition table. Well, I think my partition table is the problem and I need to fix it so any help would be appreciated. Thanks, Peter
  • (my first post didn't have line breaks and was hard to read so here it is again with line breaks)

1. I used Partition Magic to split my Dell Dimension 3000 drive into 3 Windows XP partitions

2. I used Acronis True Image 9 to try to load a drive image into the unallocated space 3. Acronis said my drive image is corrupt so it couldn't load

4. Then everything went to pot

5. I opened Partition Magic and I had 8 partitions of all sorts of sizes. PM reported I had 330 GB of data on my 145 GB HD. I only had 3 partitions. I knew something was wrong.

6. Next, I went into Windows XP Administrative Tools->Disk Manager. It also reported my partitions had gone mad.

7. Next I got the blue screen of death

8. I tried loading WIndows XP to repair the Windows Install. It said the disk wasn't accessible. I couldn't even delete the partition.

So, here's what I think:
    1. I think some combination of attempting to use PM and Acronis TI 9 jacked up my partition table.
    2. I think the disk is just fine (no hardware problems).
    3. I think the partition table is seriously corrupted
    4. I think I need to rebuild the partition table. Have you heard of a product called Partition Table Doctor? Does it work? I could really use your advice on step by step help to solve this.

I'm not sure if I should Fdisk the MBR, try to repair the partition table using PTD, try to repair using my Norton Partition Magic rescue disks, or go straight to your DSRutility programs. You mention over and over again NOT to touch the partition table. Well, I think my partition table is the problem and I need to fix it so any help would be appreciated.

Thanks, Peter