"Please insert a disk into drive D:

Disk Drives

Disk Drives
Disk Drives (Floppy, USB, HDD, CD/DVD/BD) discussion

"Please insert a disk into drive D:

• Hi all... Basically I have a problem with my DVD drive, I think. I currently have a Dell Dimension 4600 running Windows XP and it is out of warranty. I have noticed recently that my computer will now only recognise music CDs when they are placed in the drive, and not DVD's or game disks. I assumed the problem was that they were simply not auto playing, however when i went into My computer and clicked on the drive i got the message "Please insert a disk into Drive D:", Even though there is obviously a disk there. I have tried several DVDs and several Game CDs but neither work! Thanks for the help in advance! alex
  • Hi sounds to me like either the DVD part of the rom has gone bad or it is dirty, you might try cleaning it with a disc cleaner and if that doesnt work you can get a Dvd burner at Walmart for around $50.00, hope this helps    Terry
  • Hi, memome:

While it's possible your drive has failed, I'd prefer to have you work through these standard troubleshooting steps first. Better to diagnose the problem properly first, I always say.
  • Hey thanks for the quick replies! I tried the steps that you linked to, but none of them worked. One thing that is puzzling me, is that the drive plays music cds but not dvds or game cds! ta alex
  • Hi you could try cleaning the drive witha disc cleaner, if that doesnt work you will probably just have to replace it, sometimes the lasers will read cd's but they will quit reading Dvd's, doesnt make sense but it happens, have a great day   Terry
  • Hi, Alex:

Did the diagnostic test pass? This isn't a sure sign the drive is working perfectly, but I'm just curious. 
  • hey osprey. Sorry to sound a bit dense, but how do I run the diagnostics? For some reason it doesnt work when i press F12 during start up, but saying that, there doesnt seem anywhere to press it. It goes from the windows xp start up page straight through to that funky page where you can log in. Im pretty sure i dont have any of the Dell disks to hand either! help?!
  • When you see the Dell logo, you should get the prompt (F2 for setup and F12 for utilities).

If that doesn't work, you'll need your Dell Resource disc.