Inspiron 531: SATA2 and SATA3 not working

Disk Drives

Disk Drives
Disk Drives (Floppy, USB, HDD, CD/DVD/BD) discussion

Inspiron 531: SATA2 and SATA3 not working

• Hi there! Today i got my new Inspiron 531 Desktop. The primary hard disk is connected to SATA 0 and the DVD Writer to SATA 1. I want to install a second hard disk on the SATA 2 port, but it is not recognized by the BIOS. I also can not find an option in the BIOS to enable the 2 non-working SATA ports. I have verified that the problem lies in the SATA ports, because when I connect the 2nd hard disk to SATA 1 and the DVD Writer to SATA 2, the hard disk works and the DVD Writer doesn't. Is there an option to enable the 2 additional SATA ports? Thank you for your help, TheTribe.
  • Please consider this problem as solved, I finally found the BIOS option to enable the other SATA ports. Bye, TheTribe
  • Tribe, so how did you do it?  I have an Inspiron 530 and just installed a 2nd hard drive.  SATA 0 and SATA 1 were used by the hard drive and CD ROM.  I hooked up the 2nd hard drive to SATA 3 and also a power cable.

When going to the BIOS and to the Drive section, all the SATA lines are not highlighted so I can't get to them.  It does show SATA 0 & 1 being used but SATA 2 & 3 open.

How do I get to them so I can get my 2nd hard drive up?

Does anybody else know how?  After spending hours on the Dell Chat and getting booted off, I'm getting a bit frustrated here.

HELP !!!

Thanks
  • Okay, I goofed.  I have an Inspiron 531, not 530.
  • Hi,

I first looked there too and didn't find the option. As I am currently writing from my computer I can not tell you exactly where you can find the option but it's in another menu item. There is something like SATA options, where you can enable the second SATA controller.

• Thanks Tribe, at least I know there's another menu somewhere that I can enable the remaining 2 SATA ports....

BUT WHERE ???!!!

If you can tell me where to find this mystery menu I'd really appreciate it.

Thanks bud.
  • IT ITiot

Enter setup/Advanced Tab/Integrated Peripherals/Serial-ATA Configuration.

Bev.

===================================================
    Please don't send me questions about your system by DCF Messenger.
    Post the issue in the appropriate Board, where they will be answered.

If my answer was helpful, please use the 'Did this answer the question' and click: Yes
    Forum Member since 2001
    I am not employed by Dell

• :smileyhappy:

Bev, thanks so much for that, it was the answer I was looking for.  Everything is working great and makes me want to get another DVD or something just to fill that last SATA port since its working now.

Take care !!

Bob

• Bob.

Pleased to have helped. :)

Bev.

===================================================
    Please don't send me questions about your system by DCF Messenger.
    Post the issue in the appropriate Board, where they will be answered.

If my answer was helpful, please use the 'Did this answer the question' and click: Yes
    Forum Member since 2001
    I am not employed by Dell