Upgrading Hard Drive for Dell Latitude D600

Disk Drives

Disk Drives
Disk Drives (Floppy, USB, HDD, CD/DVD/BD) discussion

Upgrading Hard Drive for Dell Latitude D600

• I am hoping to upgrade the hard drive on my Dimension D600 from the 40 GB drive that came with it.  Is there any limitation on the capacity of the HDD I can install? I am using XP Pro as my o/s (SP2)?
    Thanks

Message Edited by MorrieH on 07-24-2007 03:49 PM
  • You mean Latitiude D600?  use the Options/Edit feature on your first post to change the message subject.

Message Edited by mombodog on 07-24-2007 04:17 PM
  • Thanks for pointing out the error in the laptop's description.

Does anyone know if I need to upgrade the BIOS or will a properly formatted hard drive work in this computer?
  • Latitudes of that vintage are good to at least 120 GB.  More than that you will determine only by experiment.  It should be an IDE drive, 2.5", 9.5mm.  It probably has an adapter on the drive pins to switch the interface to a board edge type (blade) to mate with a similar socket on the motherboard.

Message Edited by JackShack on 07-24-2007 04:26 PM

Dell Forum member since 2005

• I am trying to determine if I can use a standard 2.5" notebook drive in the D600. A previous poster mentioned an adapter for the interface. I think standard drives are ATA-6 and the Dell uses ATA-7. So how can I buy, say a 80 GB notebook drive and get it into the D600? I am looking at the Hitachi 80 GB Travelstar 7K100. Thanks for your help.
  • Yes; 2.5 inch, 9.5 mm high.  As I stated in my earlier post, this computer should be ok for drives up to 120 GB.  Just remember to remove the adapter from the original drive carefully.  It should come straight off without rocking the connector back and forth.  If you expect to retrieve data from the original drive you must not bend or break the pins on the drive.  Observe that there is also a missing pin on the two rows of pins on the drive.  This blank must match a similar blank position on the adapter.

Dell Forum member since 2005