Formatting Dell Dimension 4600 (Windows XP)

Disk Drives

Disk Drives
Disk Drives (Floppy, USB, HDD, CD/DVD/BD) discussion

Formatting Dell Dimension 4600 (Windows XP)

• I want to format my hard drive clean (should I use killdisk to erase EVERYTHING?), and also add a secondary drive. I wanted to see if someone could help me, with a list or guide like the one shesagordie made here: http://www.dellcommunity.com/supportforums/board/message?board.id=dim_harddrive&thread.id=128788 but for my Dimension. Thanks.
  • johnd29

When you reinstall XP, there is an option to delete all partitions, format the hard drive and recreate the partitions, this will delete all the data from the drive.

First, did you disconnect all the peripherals from the system except the keyboard, mouse and monitor.

How to configure Dell Dimension series system to boot to the CD or DVD drive.

You can use this XP reinstallation guide, for a clean reinstall of XP.

Note: When you use/read Paul Thurrott's Supersite for Windows, note that while installing XP, delete all existing partitions (Paragraph 5) when you are prompted, then recreate and format them (Paragraphs 6 & 7), following by installing XP.

You will have to reload the drivers and applications, etc, starting with the chipset driver, then the video driver, followed by the other drivers.
    After the installation, you will need to download and install the MicroSoft Critical Updates, plus any other updates you deem necessary, also remember to enable the firewall and install the AV software before going online.

How to install a second IDE hard drive, set the new IDE hard drive's jumpers to Cable Select and using a IDE 80-wire cable, connect the drive to the middle connector.

Guide to install a second D-4600 hard drive.

After the physical installation of the hard drive, check the System Setup that the hard drive is to "Auto" [on] and in order for windows to recognize the second hard drive, it must be partitioned and formatted.

These are generic instructions for installing an additional hard drive using Windows XP Disk Management, they are by Seagate, but apply to all brands.

Bev.

===================================================
    Please don't send me questions about your system by DCF Messenger.
    Post the issue in the appropriate Board, where they will be answered.

If my answer was helpful, please use the 'Did this answer the question' and click: Yes
    Forum Member since 2001
    I am not employed by Dell

• Where can I find the chipset driver and all those drivers? Are they in the 'DRIVERS' folder in my C drive?
  • johnd29

You should have, Dell Drivers & Utilities/Resources and Application CD's, that were shipped together, with the Dell XP Reinstallation disk, when you received the computer.

If you don't have them, then you can request a set of backup discs containing the factory-installed operating system as well as the device drivers and utilities specific to your system, from here.

Or, you can download the drivers and applications for the D4600 from here and burn them to a CD.

Bev.

Post the issue in the appropriate Board, where they will be answered

Message Edited by shesagordie on 06-15-2007 02:28 PM

If my answer was helpful, please use the 'Did this answer the question' and click: Yes
    Forum Member since 2001

• Cool, I'll download them because I lost that cd. I do have the Dell Recovery CD, but I'm thinking of just buying XP Professional, since a store is offering it for a good price (OEM). Oh, and do I download every single driver on that list? Or which ones?
  • johnd29

No, you will need the Intel Chipset, Video Card, Network Interface Card (NIC), Sound Card, Modem drivers, plus all the applications that were installed.

For your Original Equipment Configuration go here.

You can also try the tab for current configuration. This requires you to allow Dell to download a small utility.

Bev.

Post the issue in the appropriate Board, where they will be answered.

Forum Member since 2001