CD and CD-RW not behaving--Dell Dimension 8250/GCE-8481B HL-DT-ST CD-RW/Samsung SC-148C

Disk Drives

Disk Drives
Disk Drives (Floppy, USB, HDD, CD/DVD/BD) discussion

CD and CD-RW not behaving--Dell Dimension 8250/GCE-8481B HL-DT-ST CD-RW/Samsung SC-148C

• Hi all,

After reading the messages here, many of which sound like this one, I'm sorry to toss out something that seems like it must have been solved before.

A family friend contacted me to look at her Dell Dimension 8250 after it seemed to have lost track of the fact that it had two physical CD drives installed, a CD/RW HL-DT-ST GCE-8481B, and a Samsung CD-ROM model SC-148C.  The friend had gone well into the dark forest of trouble-shooting on her own (she's non-techie) and had uninstalled the device drivers, rebooted, and done some other things to no avail.

I found some clues about removing the high filter and the low filter in some other forums, and that made both drives visible, however, every reboot says that new hardware was found, la la la, and a few minutes later, no device driver is found.  Meanwhile, booting progresses, and the drives can both be used as CD-ROM's, apparently running some temporary Microsoft CD driver.  Reboots continue to say that new hardware is found but no device driver, etc.

I tried to find device drivers for both of these devices and have not been successful.  The drivers/utilities disk that came with the system seems to list drivers for the devices except for the CD drives (!).  I was hoping that the Dell site would have drivers for these devices, but searching for drives has only resulted in many forum hits, no driver hits.  And the forum hits tend to have solutions that don't require a fresh copy of the device driver (at least, I think that may be what I need).

Is there a repository here where I can just download the drivers I need for my friend's computer?

Thanks for your help.

Jim K.

Message Edited by jimk_9999 on 05-23-2007 09:34 PM

• Hi Jim,

The drivers for optical drives are generic/part of the Windows Operating system.
    After running the article on the Upper & Lower Filters, some Members have had to reinstall their burning software.
    Lets go ahead and try a couple of things:
    Please click on the CD/RW link in my post and scroll to Section 20, article 3. If this does not help, enter your BIOS/System Setup and verify that the Secondary IDE channel is set to Auto and that both drives are turned on.
    If this does not help, reinstall the Chipset drivers located:
    here.

Best Regards!

God, grant me the senility to forget the people I never liked anyway,
    the good fortune to run into the ones I do and the eyesight to tell the
    difference.

CD/RW Link

Message Edited by Predator on 05-24-2007 06:24 AM

Jeff

"Live Free -- Die Hard"

Forum Member since March 1998

• Is something going on here?
    I have two Dell computers, a dimension 8300 with dvd reader - HL-DT-STDVD-ROM GDR8162
    and
    A DVD RW: _NEC DVD+RW-ND-1100A

and a latitude D510 with a DVD-ROM CD-RW: HL-DT-ST CDRW/DVD GCC4244

Both machines suddenly show the problem sited by the original poster.  I recently had a cable modem installed on the dimension.

This seems like too much of a coincidence not to have a root cause.  Any suggestions?

Dimension 8300 BIOS A07
    P4 2.6GHz
    Drives:
    Maxtor 6Y080L0 (80 GB)

SB Live, NVIDA GeForce FX 5200
    DVD ROM: HL-DT-ST GDR8162B
    DVD +R/RW; nec nd1100a
    Display: E171FPB (17" Flat Panel)

Notebook Studio 1535

• My friend is going to let me try out Jeff's suggestion on Saturday afternoon (26-May-2007)-- I'll post the results shortly thereafter :smileysurprised:.

Thanks!

Jim K.
    P.S. Yes, I think there -is- something going on.  I was amazed at the number of instances of CD drives and DVD drives disappearing when I decided to help my friend with her computer.  When I found the hint at Microsoft about the Lowfilter and the Highfilter, I got the impression that someone made a legacy-hardware-related boo-boo (didn't test a fix on old equipment) and/or some improvements in hardware technology can be optimized in ways that are harmful to existing older drives.

Message Edited by jimk_9999 on 05-25-2007 03:48 PM
  • The High/low filter tip worked although I had a Dell tech make the change by remote on the Dimension and then did the same myself on the Latitude.  No new hardware at all installed in the Latitude.  Only the Cable Modem on the Dimension. I did install some software updates from Microsoft recently.

Dimension 8300 BIOS A07
    P4 2.6GHz
    Drives:
    Maxtor 6Y080L0 (80 GB)

SB Live, NVIDA GeForce FX 5200
    DVD ROM: HL-DT-ST GDR8162B
    DVD +R/RW; nec nd1100a
    Display: E171FPB (17" Flat Panel)

Notebook Studio 1535

• I believe my friend's problem is broader than I originally thought.

Uninstalling the IDE controller (per section 20 #3) results in new hardware found for the IDE controller, but no driver found or installed.

Other things that are weird on this computer:
    1. I turn on control point saving, did a save before doing a reboot (before uninstalling the IDE controller) and after the reboot it was turned off and there was no control point save to be found.

2. Despite the new hardware being found and no driver found, the hardware continues to function, albeit non-optimally (CD-RW behaves as a CD-ROM drive).

I could not find any hints about this particular situation (uninstalling drivers results in no drivers being found during reboot), so we're going to try moving all of her personal file off of the broken computer to another computer via her home wireless LAN (and FileZilla) and reloading XP.  I think some things in the operating system have become botched up.

Thanks for your thoughts-- the web page with all the troubleshooting guides is a great resource!

Best regards,

Jim K.