E520 Hard Drive Capacity

Disk Drives

Disk Drives
Disk Drives (Floppy, USB, HDD, CD/DVD/BD) discussion

E520 Hard Drive Capacity

• What is the real story on how many and the size of internal SATA drives the E520 can accomodate? The manual says they can only handle two (2) internal SATA 320GB hard drives.

Is that true or can larger or more drives be installed?  Has anyone tried?

I currently have 2 internal SATA drives installed and working well (a 160GB SATA and a 320GB SATA). I would like to add a third internal 500GB SATA. 

Can I?

Thanks,
    Rick

Message Edited by Koppster on 01-28-200706:10 AM

• There are four SATA connectors on the mainboard - so if you have two drives now, plus two optical drives, you will need a new PCI SATA controller. You'll also have to remove the floppy drive if it's present, and will need a power adapter cable as well.

If you have only one optical drive, you can mount a hard drive in a 5.25" bracket and use that space.
  • I have 2 drives and 1 DVDRW, so only 3 of the SATA connectors are being used. The larger question is about Dell's spec's saying the system can only accomodate 2 320GB HDs.  Is there a size limit in the BIOS of the 520s? Are they limited to no more than 2 320GB HDs or can you install more than 2 HDs in sizes larger than 320?
    Thanks

• Koppster wrote:
    I have 2 drives and 1 DVDRW, so only 3 of the SATA connectors are being used. The larger question is about Dell's spec's saying the system can only accomodate 2 320GB HDs.  Is there a size limit in the BIOS of the 520s? Are they limited to no more than 2 320GB HDs or can you install more than 2 HDs in sizes larger than 320?
    Thanks

In the future, by using the Advanced Forum Search on the bottom of this page, you can quite easily find the answer to this often asked question.

There is no limit.

With over 30,000 posts (through early 2007), Rickmktg hasn't bought a Dell computer since July 2005, but has bought two Lenovo laptops...   

http://www.rickmktg.com/delltalk.htm

• I hate to double check, but are you sure there is no limit? I'd like to add a second internal drive, but.... I just chatted and then called Dell tech support to confirm the max capacity of my E520. They both told me that the max *total* capacity for my system, which was ordered with 1 250GB drive is 500 GB, and that the largest drive I can add to my system is another 250 GB drive. They both said that the mother board is the limiting factor, and if I had ordered the system configured with a larger hard drive it would have been configured with a mother board that supported larger drives. I'm still dubious, is this true? It seems bizarre, and is pretty disappointing given the good price of 400 & 500 GB SATA drives these days.
  • Galtish wrote:
    I hate to double check, but are you sure there is no limit? I'd like to add a second internal drive, but.... I just chatted and then called Dell tech support to confirm the max capacity of my E520. They both told me that the max *total* capacity for my system, which was ordered with 1 250GB drive is 500 GB, and that the largest drive I can add to my system is another 250 GB drive. They both said that the mother board is the limiting factor, and if I had ordered the system configured with a larger hard drive it would have been configured with a mother board that supported larger drives. I'm still dubious, is this true? It seems bizarre, and is pretty disappointing given the good price of 400 & 500 GB SATA drives these days.

Dell's Techies are wrong, there is not a limit on hard drives in your system.

There should be no problems installing, either 2 x 400gb or 2 x 500gb HD's.

Bev.

===================================================
    Please don't send me questions about your system by DCF Messenger.
    Post the issue in the appropriate Board, where they will be answered.

If my answer was helpful, please use the 'Did this answer the question' and click: Yes
    Forum Member since 2001
    I am not employed by Dell

• Thanks Bev, sorry for the multi-thread posts of my question.