Clone New Hard Drive For Dell Dimension 4700

Disk Drives

Disk Drives
Disk Drives (Floppy, USB, HDD, CD/DVD/BD) discussion

Clone New Hard Drive For Dell Dimension 4700

• Hi,

I have a Dell Dimension 4700 computer with a Maxtor 80GB SATA hard drive w/ Windows Home ED XP SP2. I just bought a new Western Digital 250GB SATA Hard drive (WD2500KS).

I want to install the new Hard Drive (HD) as my new bootable HD and transfer (Clone) the whole system from the old HD to the new. I want to keep my old HD on the computer as a 2nd drive for Data backup (but keep all system files/data on it for now until I know that the new drive is working properly).

I have read great reviews for a product called Acronis Migrate Easy 7 that will do the cloning. They have a 15 day fully functional trial to download on their website.

Does anyone have experience with this software?
    ...Or do you recommend something else?
    ...Or is there any easier way of doing this?

My WD hard drive comes with Data Lifeguard Tools 11.2 for Windows but I've heard bad things about cloning with this program.

I've done some reading about my system and the HD. I understand that with my Dell there are 2 hidden partitions (FAT & FAT32, with Dell Diagnostics, restore, etc) along with the windows/data partition (NTFS).

-If I use Migrate Easy does that copy the hidden partitions as well?

-Will the data, programs, etc in the hidden partitions work/run after cloning? And the partitions remain their respectable FAT's?

-Will the hidden partitions stay the same size when tranfered or will they expand proportionately ( I want to use as little space as possible for the hidden partitions or keep those sizes the same as on the old HD) like the windows/data partition?

- Do I need to do anything to the new HD after I physically install it and before using Migrate Easy?

I just want the process to go as smooth as possible and avoid any headaches.

Oh, btw...I did a similar post on the Acronis forums, but I haven't received a reply. Thought I'd try here.

Thanx!

Here's are my old HD partition volumes (from Device Manager):
    Disk #0, Partition #0 47.03MB
    Disk #0, Partition #1 73,155MB
    Disk #0, Partition #2 3,077MB

Message Edited by NolaGuy on 01-13-200710:20 AM

Message Edited by NolaGuy on 01-13-200710:44 AM

• Hi,

Western Digital Lifeguard tools will do this painlessly. I did this a while back on my 4700

If you have Ghost ot Acronis True Image then use this instead.

You need to copy drive to drive or disk to disk. This will copy the Dell diagnostic partition(s) as well

When I did this changing from two Maxtor HD's to two WD hard drives.

The computer was bootable from the SATA drive connected to SATA 0.

I've basically kept the old Maxtor SATA hard drives as backups of my system before I changed from Maxtor to WD hard drives. They are in a box in a wardrobe

hth

Ceri

• Thanks for the info Ceri and quick reply. I appreciate it.

I think I might purchase a copy of True Image and use that instead of the WD Lifeguard tools. I really don't have any backup software, except BackItUp in Nero. And since I'm gonna use my old HD as a backup it would make sense to buy it.

Just 2 other questions, if you don't mind.

1.) If you use True Image will the hidden partitions stay the same size (And Fats) as the originals? No clear answer on this from Acronis website and manual.

2.) When you used Lifeguard tools did you find that the hidden partitions stayed the same size?

Thanks again!

Message Edited by NolaGuy on 01-13-200712:06 PM

• NolaGuy wrote:
    Thanks for the info Ceri and quick reply. I appreciate it.

I think I might purchase a copy of True Image and use that instead of the WD Lifeguard tools. I really don't have any backup software, except BackItUp in Nero. And since I'm gonna use my old HD as a backup it would make sense to buy it.

Just 2 other questions, if you don't mind.

1.) If you use True Image will the hidden partitions stay the same size (And Fats) as the originals? No clear answer on this from Acronis website and manual.

2.) When you used Lifeguard tools did you find that the hidden partitions stayed the same size?

Thanks again!

Regardless of the software you use, the partitions won't change size UNLESS YOU TELL THE SOFTWARE TO CHANGE THE SIZE.

With over 30,000 posts (through early 2007), Rickmktg hasn't bought a Dell computer since July 2005, but has bought two Lenovo laptops...   

http://www.rickmktg.com/delltalk.htm

• NolaGuy

When you use Acronis TI, the cloned copy will be identical, including the hidden partitions.

You can download the full retail copy of True Image 10.0 @ $31.90 and burn it to a CD, from here,

The Acronis True Image 10.0 pdf Manual, can be download from here,  

Install the new drive as the secondary, image the exsisting C:/ to it. Then shutdown the system,disconnect the old drive, switch the data cable, to make the new hard drive the master and see if the system boots correctly.   

You could use XP disk management to partition and format the old hard drive to use as storage, if you so wish. 

Before cloning a hard drive, be certain that existing drive has no corruption or virus on it, as these will be transfered to the new hard drive.

Bev.

Please don't send me questions about your system by DCF Messenger.
    Post the issue in the appropriate Board, where they will be answered.

If my answer was helpful, please use the 'Did this answer the question' and click: Yes
    Forum Member since 2001
    I am not employed by Dell

• Hi,

Rick and Bev have already given the answers you need.

Lifeguard tools  Drive Image & Ghost have all copied all partitions from one hard drive to the destination drive.

In each case the destination drive has been bootable.

hth

Ceri 
  • Thanks Ceri, rickmktg, & Bev(shesagordie)!

I really appreciate all your help. Gonna get Acronis TI from NewEgg (I love NewEgg).

I'll let y'all know how it goes.

Thanks again!
  • shesagordie said:
    "You could use XP disk management to partition and format the old hard drive to use as storage, if you so wish. "

How exactly do I do that?

I sucessfully cloned the new hard drive and now want to delete all partitions and data on the old drive that I will now use only for data (as a 2nd drive). I took a look at disk management but it will only let me remove 1 of the hidden dell partitions.

Can you give me instuctions on how exactly to wipe clean the old HD and reformat and partition it again so to use as a data only drive (no OS)?

Thanks!

Message Edited by NolaGuy on 01-28-200711:33 PM

• NolaGuy

Congratulations on the sucessful cloning.  :)

These are generic instructions for using Windows XP Disk Management, they are by Seagate, but apply to all brands.

Bev.

===================================================

If my answer was helpful, please use the 'Did this answer the question' and click: Yes
    Forum Member since 2001

• Thanks for the reply Bev.

I read about Windows XP Disk Management (from Seagate) from the link that you posted. It explains well how to parttion and format a NEW Hard drive, but it doesn't tell me how to wipe the old hard drive and delete the partitions, etc.

Just to restate...
    I sucessfully cloned my new hard drive (now C: drive). My old hard drive (now F: drive) is now hooked up as a 2nd drive (Slave) with all the original partitions, Win XP OS, and data on it. I want to wipe all data and partitions on the old hard drive (essentially start anew) then repartition with only 1 partition (no dell hidden partitions) and use all the space for data, etc. I guess I will have to reformat the disk as NTFS.

When I go to Windows XP Disk Management and right click on the partitions on the old hard drive it says that I can delete the 2nd (NTFS) OS/data partition and the 3rd (hidden) FAT 32 partiton, but It will not let me delete the 1st Hidden FAT (16?) partition. If I delete the other 2 first will I then be able to delete the 1st hidden?

Just want to find the best way of wiping the drive and repartition w/o the hiddens and reformat so I can use the old hard drive for data only.

Thanks again for your help...I really appreciate it! :)

BTW.. I used Acronis True Image Home 10 to do the cloning in Bootable CD mode option. I did not pick the option to wipe old drive of data after cloning, so I could keep it for a while till I knew that the new Hard drive had been cloned sucessfully w/o any problems.

Message Edited by NolaGuy on 01-31-2007 11:34 AM
  • NolaGuy

Try going to "My Computer" select the old hard drive, right click it and select format.

Bev.

===================================================

Forum Member since 2001