cd-rw and dvd drive do not populate

Disk Drives

Disk Drives
Disk Drives (Floppy, USB, HDD, CD/DVD/BD) discussion

cd-rw and dvd drive do not populate

• I am using a Dell Dimension 8200 with Lite-On DVD-ROM LTD 163 and Lite-On LTR 24102-M CD-RW drives. When I insert a disk in the DVD-ROM drive and double-click the drive in My Computer, I get a message that the drive is not accessible. I have to open the drive properties and go to Volume/Populate to get the computer to recognize that there is a disk in the drive. Once I do that, I can read the information on the disk. On the CD-RW drive, when I double-click on the drive, I get a blank window and I have to go through the process above to get the computer to recognize the disk in the drive. I have also had problems with these drives stopping during software installation, most recently a re-install of windows xp. Does anyone have any suggestions on causes and fixes?

• Hi Sedmunds,

I would suggest you consider Clearing the NVRAM and/or reloading the IDE controler. See if either of these will help; click on the CD/RW link in my post and scroll to Section 11, article 2; Section 20, article 3.

You might also consider reseating the IDE cable from the motherboard to the back of each drive. A loose IDE connection can at times cause odd issues.

Best Regards!

God, grant me the senility to forget the people I never liked anyway,
    the good fortune to run into the ones I do and the eyesight to tell the
    difference.

CD/RW Link

Jeff

"Live Free -- Die Hard"

Forum Member since March 1998

• H i sedmunds,Could u plz give inform me what do u mean by the volume/populate option.PLzzzzz
  • The process is:

from My Computer, right-click on the dvd-rom or cd-rw drive
    click on the Properties button
    go to the Hardware tab
    highlight the drive and click on the Properties button
    go to the Volumes tab
    click on the Populate button

I'm sure there's a shorter way to get to this, but I don't know what it is.
  • thanks

• Predator-

I tried uninstalling the IDE controller with no luck and reseating the cables also with no luck. Have not tried resetting the CMOS jumper yet, but will let you know what happens.

• Hi Sedmunds,

Microsoft has an article that is sort close to your problem. You might consider reviewing it, same CD/RW link, Section 100, article 40.

Dell does have firmware updates for both of these drives, you might consider that and/or try testing each drive as the only device on the IDE cable. Sometimes one drive can affect both, just a thought my friend.

Best Regards!

the good fortune to run into the ones I do and the eyesight to tell the
    difference.

CD/RW Link

Jeff

"Live Free -- Die Hard"

• Jeff,

Thanks for your help! EZCD Creator was the problem - I had forgotten it was even installed. I installed the upgrade and both drives are working the way they're supposed to.

Thanks again.

• Glad to hear you resolved the problem Sedmunds, nice work !!

Thank you for taking the time to post the feedback, may help another Member down the road !

Take care

the good fortune to run into the ones I do
    and the eyesight to tell the difference.

CD/RW Link

Jeff

"Live Free -- Die Hard"