Maximum Size for Dimension 8400 Hard Drive?

Disk Drives

Disk Drives
Disk Drives (Floppy, USB, HDD, CD/DVD/BD) discussion

Maximum Size for Dimension 8400 Hard Drive?

  • What is the maximum capacity hard drive accomodated by the motherboard of a Dimension 8400?

    I'm looking to add one 500GB internal and one 500GB external USB backup hard drive.

    But I'm not sure the 8400 will accept a 500GB internal drive.

    Thanks


  • Alley Oop wrote:
    What is the maximum capacity hard drive accomodated by the motherboard of a Dimension 8400?

    I'm looking to add one 500GB internal and one 500GB external USB backup hard drive.

    But I'm not sure the 8400 will accept a 500GB internal drive.

    Thanks


    Using the Advanced Forum Search on the bottom of this page, you can quite easily find the answer to this often asked question.

    No limit.

    With over 30,000 posts (through early 2007), Rickmktg hasn't bought a Dell computer since July 2005, but has bought two Lenovo laptops...   

    http://www.rickmktg.com/delltalk.htm


  • rickmktg wrote:

    Using the Advanced Forum Search on the bottom of this page, you can quite easily find the answer to this often asked question.

    No limit.






    Two advanced searches of the Dell forum using the keywords

    maximum size 8400 hard drive

    AND

    dimension 8400 hard drive capacity

    yielded 0 (zero) relevant and definitive answers, showing that my

    question is neither "easily" found nor "often asked," hence my posting.

    I appreciate your response.
  • I just found this Dell press release dated June 21, 2004, stating that the largest size hard drive possible with the 8400 is 400GB:

    "The Dimension 8400 (starting at $1,369) and new XPS utilize the Intel 925X Express chipset. Both machines support up to Pentium 4 processor 560, up to 4GB1 of dual-channel DDR2 memory and up to 400GB Serial ATA (SATA) hard drives."

    http://www1.us.dell.com/content/topics/global.aspx/corp/pressoffice/en/2004/2004_06_21_rr_000?c=us&l=en&s=corp

    So I'm getting conflicting information.


  • Alley Oop wrote:
    I just found this Dell press release dated June 21, 2004, stating that the largest size hard drive possible with the 8400 is 400GB:

    "The Dimension 8400 (starting at $1,369) and new XPS utilize the Intel 925X Express chipset. Both machines support up to Pentium 4 processor 560, up to 4GB1 of dual-channel DDR2 memory and up to 400GB Serial ATA (SATA) hard drives."

    http://www1.us.dell.com/content/topics/global.aspx/corp/pressoffice/en/2004/2004_06_21_rr_000?c=us&l=en&s=corp

    So I'm getting conflicting information.

    Press releases are just that.  They state what is offered, not what is possible.  Note of course you need a SATA drive.

    With over 30,000 posts (through early 2007), Rickmktg hasn't bought a Dell computer since July 2005, but has bought two Lenovo laptops...   

    http://www.rickmktg.com/delltalk.htm



  • Alley Oop wrote:


    Two advanced searches of the Dell forum using the keywords

    maximum size 8400 hard drive

    AND

    dimension 8400 hard drive capacity

    yielded 0 (zero) relevant and definitive answers, showing that my

    question is neither "easily" found nor "often asked," hence my posting.

    I appreciate your response.

    Use less words and you'll have more success.  "8400 hard drive".

    With over 30,000 posts (through early 2007), Rickmktg hasn't bought a Dell computer since July 2005, but has bought two Lenovo laptops...   

    http://www.rickmktg.com/delltalk.htm

  • This link is to the Specs for the Dimension 8400 .. according to it 400GB is the Max Size .. must be SATA Drive

    Dim 8400 specs


  • 85rx-7se wrote:
    This link is to the Specs for the Dimension 8400 .. according to it 400GB is the Max Size .. must be SATA Drive

    Dim 8400 specs




    Oops!

    rickmktg said there was "no limit."

    So I just ordered a 500GB drive for my Dell 8400.

    Let's hope that rickmktg was right!
  • In this case I have to believe Rick is in error
    The product spec page I linked to clearly
    states "400GB SATA Hard Drives Max Size"


  • 85rx-7se wrote:
    This link is to the Specs for the Dimension 8400 .. according to it 400GB is the Max Size .. must be SATA Drive

    Dim 8400 specs


    Again, those are the specs for how Dell SOLD IT, not what is possible.

    With over 30,000 posts (through early 2007), Rickmktg hasn't bought a Dell computer since July 2005, but has bought two Lenovo laptops...   

    http://www.rickmktg.com/delltalk.htm



  • Alley Oop wrote:


    Oops!

    rickmktg said there was "no limit."

    So I just ordered a 500GB drive for my Dell 8400.

    Let's hope that rickmktg was right!

    If you ordered a 500gb SATA drive, you're fine.

    With over 30,000 posts (through early 2007), Rickmktg hasn't bought a Dell computer since July 2005, but has bought two Lenovo laptops...   

    http://www.rickmktg.com/delltalk.htm

  • I ordered a MAXTOR SATA II Internal 500GB Hard Drive (so I hope I'm okay).

    If anyone knows of a Dell reference source for the 8400 system, please let me know.
  • We must presume it still has the original controller board
    The OP did not say wether he was planning to add a new
    SATA controller .. sounded to me like he just wants to be
    able to plug his 500GB drive into his existing controller,
    which if it is the factory original, will probably not work


  • Alley Oop wrote:
    I ordered a MAXTOR SATA II Internal 500GB Hard Drive (so I hope I'm okay).

    If anyone knows of a Dell reference source for the 8400 system, please let me know.

    Click on Desktops, then Dimensions, then User Guides.

    With over 30,000 posts (through early 2007), Rickmktg hasn't bought a Dell computer since July 2005, but has bought two Lenovo laptops...   

    http://www.rickmktg.com/delltalk.htm



  • 85rx-7se wrote:
    We must presume it still has the original controller board
    The OP did not say wether he was planning to add a new
    SATA controller .. sounded to me like he just wants to be
    able to plug his 500GB drive into his existing controller,
    which if it is the factory original, will probably not work


    You are incorrect sir.

    With over 30,000 posts (through early 2007), Rickmktg hasn't bought a Dell computer since July 2005, but has bought two Lenovo laptops...   

    http://www.rickmktg.com/delltalk.htm