Deleting 3GB Dell Partition

Disk Drives

Disk Drives
Disk Drives (Floppy, USB, HDD, CD/DVD/BD) discussion

Deleting 3GB Dell Partition

• Hi Everyone,
    I would like to know how to delete the 3GB Dell partition containing the factory-default applications incase I need to restore my system. Because I have no need for the applications in that disk image, and I do a clean-install of XP anyway, I would really appreciate it if somebody could give me some information on clearing up the 3GB used up by the hidden partition.

Thanks!
    Kirupa =)
  • Kirupa

You can delete the partition with a clean reinstall of XP or if you do not wish to reinstall windows, then by using Symantec's Partition Magic.

Bev.

If my answer was helpful, please use the 'Did this answer the question' and click: Yes
    Forum Member since 2001
    I am not employed by Dell

• I did do a clean install of XP, but I don't remember seeing the option for deleting that particular partition. I will try again in a few weeks when I get some time to format my comp again.

Using the Device Manager, when I view the hard drive's Properties, I can see the unlabeled 3GB volume displayed along with my primary partition.

Is there any command line tools I can use instead? I would ideally just want to mark that space as NTFS so that I can, at the least, use it concurrently with my current XP installation as a viewable, 2nd partition.

Thanks!
    Kirupa
  • Kirupa

When you reinstall XP, you can delete all existing partitions (Paragraph 5) when you are prompted, then recreate and format
    them (Paragraphs 6 & 7), following by installing XP.

Bev.

If my answer was helpful, please use the 'Did this answer the question' and click: Yes
    Forum Member since 2001
    I am not employed by Dell

• Kirupa wrote:
    I did do a clean install of XP, but I don't remember seeing the option for deleting that particular partition. I will try again in a few weeks when I get some time to format my comp again.

Using the Device Manager, when I view the hard drive's Properties, I can see the unlabeled 3GB volume displayed along with my primary partition.

Is there any command line tools I can use instead? I would ideally just want to mark that space as NTFS so that I can, at the least, use it concurrently with my current XP installation as a viewable, 2nd partition.

Thanks!
    Kirupa

Use Disk Management to delete the partition, recreate it, and format it.  If you don't want to combine it with the existing partition, there is no reason to reinstall XP.

With over 30,000 posts (through early 2007), Rickmktg hasn't bought a Dell computer since July 2005, but has bought two Lenovo laptops...   

http://www.rickmktg.com/delltalk.htm

• The Dell Tools partition isn't formatted NTFS it is formatted FAT or below and depending on your HD size unless you really need the space I would keep it for all the troubleshooting tools available on it.

ganash

• In case you are sure you want to delete this partition, there is a Dell program already installed that apparently deletes it: C:\dell\Utilities\DSR\DSRIRRemv2.exe. 

Dimension 9150.

• Thanks for all of the helpful responses. I was able to delete it and format the volume as NTFS. There isn't a way to merge this partition into my C: without having to purchase Partition Magic (or a similar program), correct?

Thanks!
    Kirupa =)

• Kirupa wrote:
    Thanks for all of the helpful responses. I was able to delete it and format the volume as NTFS. There isn't a way to merge this partition into my C: without having to purchase Partition Magic (or a similar program), correct?

Thanks!
    Kirupa =)

Shesagordie already answered that correctly.

With over 30,000 posts (through early 2007), Rickmktg hasn't bought a Dell computer since July 2005, but has bought two Lenovo laptops...   

http://www.rickmktg.com/delltalk.htm

• You can download the free open-source partitioning program
    GParted LiveCD

It works perfectly.