Dell Inspiron 6000 will not read cd/dvd drive

Disk Drives

Disk Drives
Disk Drives (Floppy, USB, HDD, CD/DVD/BD) discussion

Dell Inspiron 6000 will not read cd/dvd drive

• I just received my Inspiron Tuesday and I am already going through technical difficulties. First I could not install iTunes (and I still cannot) but now my main concern is that it won't read my cd/dvd drive. I have a cd/dvd burner...and when I put a disc in there it sounds like it's doing something for a while but then it stops. Also, in My Computer, the drive does not show up there. When I go to the device manager and click on the drive it says

"Windows successfully loaded the device driver for this hardware but cannot find the hardware device. (Code 41)
    Click Troubleshoot to start the troubleshooter for this device."

I tried troubleshooting it but I got nothing. I hope 'bacillus' can help me, seeing as you helped someone else with a similair problem. I would try what you told him except I noticed my error was 'code 41' and his was 'code 39'

any help is appreciated

thank you in advance
    '
  • The fix for error codes 39 and 41 are the same i.e. the deletion of both upper and lower filters in the Registry.

In case your have lost the fix I have reiterated it below.

Go to start> run and type in "regedit" (without the quotes) then press ok.

1) Remove the Upperfilters and Lowerfilters values by:

a) Expand the "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE" key (looks like a folder) by double clicking it.

b) Expand the "SYSTEM" Key

c) Expand the "CurrentControlSet" Key

d) Expand the "Control" Key

e) Expand the "Class" Key

f) Please look for a key containing the following string of letter and numbers:

{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}.
    g) Highlight this key by left clicking once on it

h) On the right hand side you are looking for "Upperfilters" and "Lowerfilters", once you find these please delete them by high lighting (left clicking on them once) and then right clicking on them and choosing "delete"

NB only one key may be present but still delete it.

Restart your computer.
  • I apologize in advance if this sounds like a slam at Bacillus because it isn't. He is a very helpful participant and no contest to his advice is intended. Just a different slant.

I also received a 6000 with this CD/DVD problem. The registry hack worked for awhile. However, the problem returned later and I had to beg Dell Tech Support for a new drive. They sent an older version of the same drive and it works fine to this day.

Also, when you perform this registry hack you may fix the immediate problem but if you do a Dell PC Restore, you recreate the same difficulty because you restore the registry Dell gave you in the image. If there's a problem with that image it will reappear every time you do a restore.

I have firmly resolved that anytime I receive a Dell product that fails to perform perfectly right out of the box, I immediately return it for a refund in accordance with my 21 day satisfaction guarantee. That is my advice to everyone who experiences any level of problem with an out of the box Dell product UNLESS they have modified the product and introduced the problem themselves.

Dell will never improve its quality if customers hack and fix hardware and software problems and don't reject defective products. Dell has an obligation to provide functional products when Dell takes our money for the product.

Send it back and start fresh with the clock running for you, not against you whether or not the hack works for you.
  • I had these same two problems with my new inspiron 6000. I wanted to install itunes so i could have the quicktime plugin for firefox and i figured if they were free i would download a few podcasts (i dont know if they are free or not but since i dont have an ipod and dont plan on using i tunes it doesnt really matter) and my cd/dvd burner stopped being reconized and didnt show up in "my computer"

I am fairly unexpirenced with hacking computers and this is my only computer in the house is it possible to fix this without editing the registry??
    Thank you VERY much to anybody who can help.

• silverbullet38 wrote:
    I am fairly unexpirenced with hacking computers and this is my only computer in the house is it possible to fix this without editing the registry??
    Thank you VERY much to anybody who can help.

The short answer is no unless you want to completely reinstall your system!
  • Thank you very much for the help i will try it today when i get home from work.  Would this problem by any chance be caused by the iTunes installation?

• Thank you very much for the help i will try it today when i get home from work.  Would this problem by any chance be caused by the iTunes installation?

• This problem is usually caused by uninstalling or installing software so that it may be more than coincidence that you installed iTunes and the problem occurred.

Please note that after you remove the Upperfilters value and the Lowerfilters value then you notice lost functionality in a particular program, such as CD recording software, you may need to reinstall that software.
  • Thank you for that advice.  The problem with that is i dont have the CD for the software i just use the bundled roxio/sonic dvd-cd burner so how should i go about reinstalling it if a problem occurs?

• Assuming that you're still within Dell warranty then I suggest you make contact and asked for the preinstalled program CDs to be sent to you.

http://forums.us.dell.com/supportforums/board/message?board.id=sw_mediaexp&message.id=1895&query.id=0#M1895

• I did the registry edit and it works.
    i have a few more questions... How do i prevent this from happening again? I have Sonuc DigitalMedia LE V7, it still seems to work but it still says "no drive detected" how do i fix this?

Thank you very much for your help bacillus!!
  • I downloaded an update for Sonic MyDVD and it works fine but i no longer have the DLA direct to disk option for the software it get and error syaing "Not a DLA Drive" when i click the format button when i was previously able to do this PLEASE HELP!!
  • Can I just say that I've had this problem with my cd/dvd drive and only since installing the iTunes/iPod/Quick Time software supplied with an iPod. Is this what is causing the problem? My computer loaded the softare from the cd fine and since then doesn't recgonise the D drive, only when the iPod is attached and sees that as the D drive. Very frustrating as I've just spend a lot of money on an iPod and can not download any discs to Itunes and then onto the iPod.