Forums

Disk Drives

Disk Drives
Disk Drives (Floppy, USB, HDD, CD/DVD/BD) discussion

error code 1000-0142

• I know my hd just went out but I was wondering if anyone knew what this fail code is.

I ran the dell troubleshooting disk and the following came up

DST SHORT STATUS TEST--FAIL
    ERROR CODE 1000-0142

ALSO
    MSG:UNIT4: DRIVE SELF TEST FAIL
  • Hard drive has bad sectors - needs to be replaced.
  • Yep, thought so.  I'm already looking!

Thanks for the reply's!!!

• i have same prob is there a way and how to disable it till i can afford to buy a new one ty for help
  • Before your replace your hard drive when getting this error, try this- Boot from a Windows XP CD and choose Repair at the first prompt to get the recovery console. Type "chkdsk c: /p/r" at the prompt. Repeat until there are no errors found. Exit and reboot. It worked for me.
  • I failed to boot from CD as well

It reads: Error loading operating system.

It tried to connect my SATA hard disk externally to a PC, it reads Malfunction and failed to install the harddisk.

any help? i didnt back up my docs

• Mondoswank,

Dude, you rock.  That worked for me also.

• Ah thanks your solution really worked quite well. Can u also help in bypassing the admin password: I used the "administrator" is not working. I logged in using a guest then open C:/WINNT/CONFIG/SAM I tried to delete the SAM file. It cannot be deleted I tried to go to User Account from that window only the Guest account does appear. Since I could have tried to reset it from that. OS is Windows XP (TM)
  • Hello,

Bypassing the administrator password will not work in windows xp rather i know how to bypass it in vista or win7. According to me the administrator password in win xp cannot be bypassed. Can u please make me clear the administrator account which u r taking abt has it been listed when u boot the comp in safe mode option. If u needed files to be backed up from the os drive it's simple it can solved by doing a parallel installation with the os disk.

• Fantastic. I ran the checkdisk twice and the problem was solved. Thanks!

• Hi...having the same problem. Ran check once and still having the problem...running it again; hoping for a miracle. If it doesn't work, how do I get my data off the hard drive before replacing it?
  • Remove the hard drive, mount it in an external case, and attach it by USB to a working system.  Copy what you can still read before you replace the drive.

• Thank you much!  Just ordered the case!

• hi-it worked for me-

thank you my friend.

chkdsk c: /p/r  rocks

please give me your email address ur great and wise

.Smile

• Chkdsk will fix the issue temporarily - suggest you to backup the data ASAP and call dell tech support for hard drive replacement provided you have warranty.

Mark my answer as resolved if your issue is resolved

Best Regards,

VeejDeej

Endorse me: http://goo.gl/C3567
    Dell user