"Please Insert a disk into Drive" Problem

Disk Drives

Disk Drives
Disk Drives (Floppy, USB, HDD, CD/DVD/BD) discussion

"Please Insert a disk into Drive" Problem

• I have newly bought Dell Dimension 4700.My CD-Write drive is really acting very funny.

It never reads the contents of the CD, All it says "Please Insert a disk into Drive ". I have tried so many different type/brands of CD-R,CD-RWs even the Dell supplied Resource CDs and still the same message "Please Insert a disk into Drive "

When I opened the proprty of the CD-Write drive and Mark the Check on

-- Enable CD Recording on this drive

and Click on the CD-Write drive after placing the CD I don't get this message.However it never listes the contents of the CD.It just opens a balnk explorer windows.

And if I remove the Check mark from the proprty of the CD-Write drive and Click on the CD-Write drive after placing the CD I get message "Please Insert a disk into Drive ".

I was reading the forum for any fix and tried most of the previous fix posted on forum for similar issue including the following:

(1): Disc not recognized:I think I fixed it....in the virus scanner properties (I have Norton's Anti-virus), under advanced, there is an option to disable scanning all removeable media for boot viruses everytime mounted....this did the trick for me so far....Let me know if it works for you!

-Paul

(2): Insert Disc error:
    The Parallel port can interfere with CD device detection in Windows XP. Use the following steps to change the parallel port.
    1. Go to My Computer - Control Panel
    2. Select System | Hardware | Device Manager
    3. Click the "Plus" sign next to Ports
    4. Right click on LPT1 and select Properties.
    5. Select Port settings
    6. Select "USE ANY INTERRUPT ASSIGNED TO THE PORT" and click OK
    7. Close all windows and restart computer.

However I am still getting the Same message "Please Insert a disk into Drive ".

Please suggest what is the workaround for this.

Thanks,

Ravi

Message Edited by rsonakiya on 04-12-2005 11:00 AM

• Hi Ravi,

If you have Sonic`s DLA program installed, please consider diabling it. Also you may wish to check the Downloads under the Product Support tab above for a possible firmware update for your drive.

Best Regards

God, grant me the senility to forget the people I never liked anyway,
    the good fortune to run into the ones I do and the eyesight to tell the
    difference.

CD/RW Link

Jeff

"Live Free -- Die Hard"

Forum Member since March 1998

• Hi Predator,
    Thanks for taking time and replying to my Post.

I disabled the SONIC DLA and still getting the same result.

I also removed the SONIC DLA and SONIC RECORD NOW program all togther just to see if that is causing this and no luck..without SONIC Record NOW and Without DLA I am getting the same message. Its really very strange.

I did check the Product Support tab above for a possible firmware update..however I have the most recent upgrade. I am reading all over the forum and every where on the web still not able to find any work-around.

Please suggest me if you got any idea.

Thanks,

Ravi

• Hi Ravi,

Dell released BIOS updates for a number of their systems to address ATAPI detection issues, including the 4700 series. I would suggest you give this a try.
    Other standard steps; same CD/RW link, Section 15, article 1; Section 20, article 3; Section 11, article 2.

Best Regards

God, grant me the senility to forget the people I never liked anyway,
    the good fortune to run into the ones I do and the eyesight to tell the
    difference.

CD/RW Link

Jeff

"Live Free -- Die Hard"

Forum Member since March 1998