Hard Disk problem - Uncorrectable data error or media is write protected

Disk Drives

Disk Drives
Disk Drives (Floppy, USB, HDD, CD/DVD/BD) discussion

Hard Disk problem - Uncorrectable data error or media is write protected

• Hi,

I got a KERNEL_IN_PAGE_ERROR Blue Screen of Death some two weeks agoand again today while running a clean-up of on the HD, only when I rebooted today, I also got this message at startup :

Windows could not start because  the following file is missing or corrupt:

<Windows root>\system32\hal.dll
    Please re-install a copy of the above file.

So when I went to reboot from CD (i.e. Insert WinXP CD, F12 -> Onboard or USB CD-ROM Drive), system does configuration checks, and go the the Windows setup menu.  When the option to reinstall XP, repair or quit comes up, I choose Repair but nothing happens at all. Same for F3 to quit.
    I ran Hard Drive Diagnostics from the Boot Device menu and only the CD Rom and DVD drives are found.
    In Boot to Utility Partion, I ran Cannot Boot the OS tests from the Symtom Tree.  The following tests failed:

SATA Disk S/N- Y45TVVFE  - Read Test
    SATA Disk S/N- Y45TVVFE  - Verify Test

...with a number of the following error messages in each case (block number increments with each message).

Error code - 0F00:0244
    Msg: Block 568905: Uncorrectable data error or media is write protected

I read around on the net and it looks like my HD is dead/dying.  Can I still get a back up of the files on this HD?

Why doesn't Repair work from Windows setup menu?

If I re-install WinXP will all my original files be erased?

FYI, I am running WinXP SP2, Dell Dimension 8400.

regards,
    Brendan
  • You may still be able to save some files, but you will not get everything at this point.

You'll need to disconnect this drive, install a new one, rebuild the OS, and then reattach the old drive as a secondary. Copy what you can.

There is no point in trying to reinstall Windows to this drive - it's dying, and chances are the install will fail and leave you with a totally unreadable drive.
  • Thanks for that.  Just out of interest,do you know why the repair option wouldn't respond - have you heard of that type of thing happening before?

Thanks again.

Brendan
  • Yes; once bad sectors develop, the drive is on its way to complete failure.