how to partition Eisa Configuration?

Disk Drives

Disk Drives
Disk Drives (Floppy, USB, HDD, CD/DVD/BD) discussion

how to partition Eisa Configuration?

• I bought new hdd and formated as NTFS.  The problem is that some of the programs are not functioning.  I noticed that the one came with the system is

also NTFS but has partitioned section as FAT called "Eisa Configuration".  I need to know how to partition Eisa.

Message Edited by paul4600 on 09-06-2004 03:11 AM

• That small FAT partition is a Dell diagnostic partition. You don't need to worry about it.

Please explain what you mean when you say some programs aren't working. Did you add the new drive as an extra drive onto the system or did you reinstall Windows? If you added the drive, it may have changed the drive letter of your CD or DVD drive, which will impact programs that require a disc in the tray to run.

• The purpose of second hdd was to make backups from the first(original) hdd before I have it warrented.  The original hdd came with the system is having

a problem: it keeps making this weird buzzing-squicking noise every 3-5min.  I didn't pay much attention to the noise until it really became annoying.

By the time I added second hdd, I knew then for sure that this noise is indeed a problem.  Anyhow, the new hdd is configured as master, and the old one

as slave.  The problem with using new hdd as master drive is that it is formatted NTFS, and has compatiblility issue with the software.  I noticed such

because the software(program) was running just fine when it was installed on the old hdd.  I have tried to figure out why but so far, the type of format is the

only difference between the new hdd and the old hdd.  My poor guess is that if my new hdd is formatted the same way as old one, it might just solve the

problem.  The new hdd(200GB) is already partitioned into 5, I installed windows xp on the first portion(C:) of the partition.   

• I'm still not able to follow what you've done. I think you created five partitions on the 200-gb drive and installed XP on the first partition. After that, you've lost me.

Did you try to copy program files from the old drive to the new drive? If so, they're not going to work. You must REINSTALL each program onto the new drive.

In all likelihood, the old drive was also NTFS, since that's the way Dell ship all systems with XP.

• wow, I am just amazed how fast you guys reply. :)

No, I did not copy program from the old one: this makes me laugh.  In order to run programs, they need to be installed first.  I know that much.

Obviously I reinstalled it onto new drive. 

Somehow I think that the small portion of partition name "Eisa Configuration" has nothing to do with my problem...

Would you be able to give more information on this "Eisa"?  Is this only for dell computers?  I want to know exactly.

In addition, here's the list of what I've done so far:

1. Factory hdd making strange noise.

2. Wanting replacement hdd under warrenty.

3. Didn't want to loose any files saved.

4. Bought new hdd, partitioned(5), formated(NTFS).

5. Made backups: moved(copied, either) files from factory to new hdd.

6. Getting ready to have factory hdd warrented.

7. ReInstalled every program onto new hdd.

8. A few programs not running on new hdd: does not open after installation.

9. Questioning why: Something to do with new drive?

10. Found this weird small portion of partition name "Eisa Configuration" on factory hdd

11. Did I need to format one of the partitions as "FAT" due to compatiblity just like "Eisa"-FAT formatted?

• You are correct, that small EISA partition has nothing to do with your problem. As I said, it is a small partition installed at the factory with some diagnostic programs. It can be deleted with no ill effect. Do a forum search and you'll see this same answer dozens of times.

I suggest you remove the old drive, repartition the new drive, reinstall Windows, drivers and applications and try again. Leave the old drive out until everything is installed, then try putting it back in to retrieve your data.