Forums

Disk Drives

Disk Drives
Disk Drives (Floppy, USB, HDD, CD/DVD/BD) discussion

CDRom/DVD door keeps opening and won't stay closed

• My CDRom/DVD door keeps opening and when I close it manually or with the program it stays closed for a few seconds.. light blinks and the door re-opens again. I have tried it with and without a CD in it and it still re-opens.
    Is this a hardware problem or a driver problem?
  • I had that problem once before.  It could be that you have an obstruction inside your CDRom/DVD door.  It could be some type of small object.
  • Have you found a solution to your problem?  I am having the same problem.
  • I attempted to clean the CDRom the best I could without removing it. Is there some way to actually clean it inside. I read that we should be cleaning it occasionally but it never did say how we should do it? Should I be doing it or take it into a shop? It still is opening and staying open. Any ideas on cleaning it would be greatly appreciated.
  • Reported this to Dell via e-mail :-

> Problem: Storage

> Operating System: Windows XP

> Error Text:

> Problem Description: CD-ROM Combo / DVD catch appears to have died, the drive will not stay closed.

> Trouble Shooting Steps: Removed and Re-inserted drive from Inspiron.

Got this back from Dell :-

Thank you very much for contacting us.

I see that you have an issue concerning the DVD drive.

I am not able t gauge what exactly is the issue with the drive.

When you say the catch do you mean the latch which is present at the bottom of the system ?

In this case the bottom plastics have to be replaced. Is the drive functioning properly?

Please explain the issue more precisely so that I can assist you better and do the needful at the earliest.

-   -   -   -   -   -   -   -  

I thought I was fairly clear on what I meant.

• I am having the same problem with my CDROM door.
    It will nort stay closed, light blinks, etc.
    Did you find a solution?
    Or did you have to replace the drive?
    Thanks
  • They eventually replaced the drive under warranty. After a long extended "Why don't I just bang my head against a brick wall?" session with online support.

I would advise you to ask for this straight away.

Thanks,
    Will