mSATA SSD replacement on XPS 8500

Disk Drives

Disk Drives
Disk Drives (Floppy, USB, HDD, CD/DVD/BD) discussion

mSATA SSD replacement on XPS 8500

This question is answered

Does anybody know the original content of the installed mSATA SSD (32 GB) on an XPS8500.  I just purchased it and expect it in two weeks and currently own an OCZ 120GB mSATA SSD.  I would like to replace it, but am putting my plans together as to how to install it.

My initial idea is to create a system image on Win7, then restoring on that drive.  But is the entire Windows folder and user files and programs on that drive currently (the provided 32 GB)

Any help would be appreciated.  Thanks in advance.

Verified Answer
  • Hi TRPAULAT

Welcome to dell community.  The following link shows all system details including steps to replace mSATA SSD step.  http://dell.to/L9xuXd

As for your concern regarding transfer of operating system, you can use Data Safe local utility to create recovery image of operating system and drivers on blank Dvd’s.  You can then use those disks to restore your operating system and drivers after replacing mSATA drive.

You may check more details about Data Safe local using the following link.  http://dell.to/rLeO8L.

Glad to help.

Thank you

Vikas

Dell |Social Media Outreach| Global Social Media Community

• I finished the upgrade.  I however ran into some other issues, not related to disks.  My computer locks up with no help from the event log as to why.  I suspect the AMD Radeon hd7770.  Does anyone have a clue as to whether a video card designed for PCIE16_2 or up work in the PCIE16_1 slot of the XPS 8500????

Help, what is the best video card, not for gaming, but low power usage, but reliable.

All Replies
  • Hi TRPAULAT

Welcome to dell community.  The following link shows all system details including steps to replace mSATA SSD step.  http://dell.to/L9xuXd

As for your concern regarding transfer of operating system, you can use Data Safe local utility to create recovery image of operating system and drivers on blank Dvd’s.  You can then use those disks to restore your operating system and drivers after replacing mSATA drive.

You may check more details about Data Safe local using the following link.  http://dell.to/rLeO8L.

Glad to help.

Thank you

Vikas

Dell |Social Media Outreach| Global Social Media Community

• I finished the upgrade.  I however ran into some other issues, not related to disks.  My computer locks up with no help from the event log as to why.  I suspect the AMD Radeon hd7770.  Does anyone have a clue as to whether a video card designed for PCIE16_2 or up work in the PCIE16_1 slot of the XPS 8500????

Help, what is the best video card, not for gaming, but low power usage, but reliable.

• Quick question.  Did you load your Windows OS onto the mSata drive so it now acts as a boot drive?  Or just a cache drive?

• The answer is neither.  I apparently had a problem with my motherboard.  The final sound stage quit, which gave Dell a clue, even though no diagnostic evidence (no errors).  Dell tech replaced the motherboard, and I must say - very professionally and quickly - and all issues have gone away.  My XPS 8500 now is configured as follows:

OS on a new Intel Series 330 (180 GB) SSD, two Seagate hybrid drives (750 GB ea) for data and data backup, the original 2 TB drive that came with the computer is unattached and installed just in case, the 30 GB mSATA Cache drive changed to a 120 GB OCZ mSATA and is used for my OS image backup.  The mSATA can be reconfigured using the Intel

RST Toolbox for intended purpose.  Caching is not necessary on my config, as the OS is on an SSD plugged into a SATA III port (6 GB/s)

I backup using image only.  If there is a problem, I can quickly recover using that method.  Individual files are not that much of a problem since I have DATA and DATA backup on two separate drives and synced using AJC Sync.  So recovery is quick.

My performance index is 7.5 due to the AMD 7770 display, with the other factors being 7.8 and above.  So, I do have a reasonably fast computer for a fair price.  I now consider this an excellent machine.

• Hi Trpaulat,

Good to hear Dell got things fixed for you and you're up and running.

• OK I will