Good morning everyone,
Our Inspiron PC apparently is having some problems with the internal Disk Drive. The Dell Utilities are ending with a messages: WHD12-8A9 and WHD20-XUC, but I can't find what these message mean. I've scanned the Dell web site and find no reference to these messages. The Dell Utility does not provide any additional information about the errors that it is seeing. Windows CHKDSK / SCANDISK are seeing some errors and are trying to schedule a run prior to windows booting, but it never seems to start.
What I want you to do is test your hard drive using your Dell Drivers and Utilities disc:
1. Reboot your system. When you see the Dell logo, hit F12 to enter the boot menu.
2. Insert the Dell Drivers and Utilities disc in your CD/DVD drive.
3. Pick the option to boot from the CD/DVD drive.
4. You will be prompted to hit any key to continue booting from the CD/DVD drive.
5. You will be prompted to hit 1 to run the Dell diagnostics. You may see two such menus.
6. Select Test System.
7. Select Custom Test.
7. Use the arrow keys or mouse to select your hard drive.
9. Click Run Tests.
10. Write down any error messages.
Please post back and let me know if you need more help.