How to install a third hard drive on my Dell XPS 435T

Disk Drives

Disk Drives
Disk Drives (Floppy, USB, HDD, CD/DVD/BD) discussion

How to install a third hard drive on my Dell XPS 435T

This question is not answered

I just recently purchased from Dell at Western Digital 2TB SATA hard drive for my Dell XPS 435T. The rep said it would be easy to install.  Well, I'm having some difficulty.  I was able to install the drive in the vacant third bay below the other two hard drives and I only found one connection for it, which appears to be the power connection. But there is no data connection to connect to... When I try to access the drive, it says access denied. So I'm sure I'm not connecting something.

Can anyone shed some  light on this for me?  Thanks

All Replies
  • Each SATA device has its own data cable connected directly to a SATA port on the motherboard.  If you have an open port you are OK.  If you do not have an open SATA port you will have to decide which other device you want to rob the SATA data cable from.  

The Dell documentation shows 5 SATA ports on the motherboard. 

http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/435T/en/SM/techov.htm#wp1194395

I am not a Dell Employee

Dell forum member since 2002

Home Built PC with Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UD5H motherboard, i7 3770 CPU,  Windows 7 64 bit Home/Win 8.1.  SSD drive.  Sonar X3c 64 bit Recordng Software.

Member of Nashville based R.O.P.E.

• Thanks Firebred...I think I see what you are talking about...Question, can you add another SATA cable as well?

• Yes, that is standard procedure when adding a SATA device.  When I added a second hard drive in my Dell, it already had the power connector but I had to provide the SATA data cable with the added hard drive.  

This is an example of a SATA data cable.   

I am not a Dell Employee

Dell forum member since 2002

Home Built PC with Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UD5H motherboard, i7 3770 CPU,  Windows 7 64 bit Home/Win 8.1.  SSD drive.  Sonar X3c 64 bit Recordng Software.

Member of Nashville based R.O.P.E.

• Again, thanks so much Firebred...I'm getting there!  Appeciate your help...