Forums

Disk Drives

Disk Drives
Disk Drives (Floppy, USB, HDD, CD/DVD/BD) discussion

how do you update firmware on a seagate hard drive

This question is not answered

Hi.

I have an XPS M1530 laptop which originally came with Vista on it. I upgraded to Windows 7. I have noticed that the driver windows installed is older than the one available on Dell. When I downloaded the file, it extracted to a folder with:-

iaahci.cat

iaahci.inf

iastor.cat

iastor.inf

iastor.sys

license.txt

readme.txt

txtsetup.oem

version.txt

I know in the past I have been able to just right click on the inf file and select install and do it that way as there is no exe file. However, this wont let me do that.

I thought I was pretty clued up on computers but when I read the readme.txt it blew my mind. Can anyone explain to me in a simple way what do I do with the files?

I have attached the readme file.

Thanks, Darren.

4062.readme.txt

All Replies
  • Hi Darren,

Your subject says firmware but your message discusses the device driver. These are different things. Perhaps if you clarify the problem you are having, we can suggest the best way to fix the problem.

• Darren xps laptop

iaahci.cat

iaahci.inf

iastor.cat

iastor.inf

iastor.sys

license.txt

readme.txt

txtsetup.oem

version.txt

I know in the past I have been able to just right click on the inf file and select install and do it that way as there is no exe file. However, this wont let me do that.

I thought I was pretty clued up on computers but when I read the readme.txt it blew my mind. Can anyone explain to me in a simple way what do I do with the files?

I have attached the readme file.

Thanks, Darren.

Those are the files that are needed for to be copied to a floppy or usb flash drive and used during install of windows if you want to use the Intel AHCI iaStor driver vs the microsoft msahci one that comes within windows .

They have nothing to do with updating the firmware of the hdd.

• Hi. Yes I am talking more about the driver. The driver in device manager says version 6.1.7600.16385      21/06/2006

It is a seagate ST9250320AS.

There must be an update for this somewhere, but cannot find it on seagates or dells website.

Darren.

• Darren xps laptop

Hi. Yes I am talking more about the driver. The driver in device manager says version 6.1.7600.16385      21/06/2006

It is a seagate ST9250320AS.

There must be an update for this somewhere, but cannot find it on seagates or dells website.

Darren.

That MS driver under disk drives has no update.

You can only use the files you've downloaded if your windows is installed using AHCI.

Look in device manager under ide ata/atapi controllers; do you have a sata ahci controller listed?

• Hi. Yes it does. It says Intel ICH8M-E/M Sata AHCI Controller.

• Darren xps laptop

Hi. Yes it does. It says Intel ICH8M-E/M Sata AHCI Controller.

Ok, if you look at the driver that the above controller is using it should be Microsoft msahci driver.

To update to the latest Intel RST one, click on the update driver button then point to the folder where you unzipped the files to. The files should be updated and the system will ask you to reboot. At restart check that you are now using the Intel iaStor driver.

Do the above at your own risk but be comforted that I did the above to update my Sata AHCI Controller driver.

• btw the latest RST driver for 64 bit can be got from http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?agr=Y&ProdId=3061&DwnldID=19601&ProductFamily=Chipsets&ProductLine=Desktop+Chipsets&ProductProduct=Intel%c2%ae+X58+Express+Chipset&lang=eng

or for 32 bit http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?agr=Y&ProdId=3061&DwnldID=19599&ProductFamily=Chipsets&ProductLine=Desktop+Chipsets&ProductProduct=Intel%c2%ae+X58+Express+Chipset&lang=eng