DVD written on R/W drive can't be read there but can be read on Read Only DVD drive?

Disk Drives

Disk Drives
Disk Drives (Floppy, USB, HDD, CD/DVD/BD) discussion

DVD written on R/W drive can't be read there but can be read on Read Only DVD drive?

This question is not answered

Specific h/w and s/w info.

- XPS Studio 435T

- 8GB's RAM

- Win7 Home Prem. x64

- DVD R/W, TSSTcorp DVD+-RW TS-H653F

- DVD-ROM  HL-DT-ST DVD-ROM DH10N

- Pinnacle USB device Dazzle DVD Recorder Plus.

- Pinnacle Instant DVD Recorder (works with x64 W7)

What happens is that I put a blank DVD into my r/w drive, plug in the USB device, connect the camcorder, start the app. Start the playback and then start the write process. It DOES write. DVD it created was able to be read on TV set top DVD player.

Put the created DVD into the r/w on the computer and 3 programs FAIL to read it? Nero 8's player says some data on the dvd might make it not work, KMPlayer can't play anything nor could Cyberllinks DVD player? However, that same DVD put into the READER works fine? No problem with other DVD's that are R/W ones put in that drive, like ones created by Nero Vision for instance?

One thing that bothers me in all this? I ran HWINFO32, http://www.hwinfo.com/, and it shows 2 devices for that R/W drive? A SATA one for the R/W, and an ATAPI one for the ROM?

This is the data for the SATA :

============

General Information                                                            
Drive Model:                                                                    TSSTcorp DVD+/-RW TS-H653F
Drive Revision:                                                                 D400
Drive Serial Number:                                                           
Serial Number:                                                                  DELL    Firmware   
Drive Type:                                                                     DVD+R DL
Drive Controller:                                                               Serial ATA 1.5Gb/s

Transfer Modes                                                                 
Max. PIO Transfer Mode:                                                         4
Multiword DMA Mode:                                                             Total: 2, Active: -
Singleword DMA Mode:                                                            Total: -, Active: -
Ultra-DMA Mode:                                                                 Total: 5 (ATA-100), Active: 2 (Ultra-DMA/33)
Max. Multiword DMA Transfer Rate:                                               16.7 MBytes/s
Max. PIO with IORDY Transfer Rate:                                              16.7 MBytes/s
Max. PIO w/o IORDY Transfer Rate:                                               16.7 MBytes/s

Device flags                                                                   
Fixed Drive:                                                                    Present
Removable Drive:                                                                Present
Magnetic Storage:                                                               Not Present
LBA Mode:                                                                       Supported
DMA Mode:                                                                       Supported
IORDY:                                                                          Supported
IORDY Disableable:                                                              Supported

Device capabilities                                                            
Drive can read:                                                                 CD-R, CD-RW, DVD-R, DVD-RW, DVD+R, DVD+RW, DVD-RAM, DVD+R DL
Drive can write:                                                                CD-R, CD-RW, DVD-R, DVD-RW, DVD+R, DVD+RW, DVD-RAM, DVD+R DL
==============

This is the data for the ATAPI

====================

Drive Model:                                                                    TSSTcorp DVD+-RW TS-H653F
Drive Revision:                                                                 D400
Device Type:                                                                    DVD-ROM

Device capabilities                                                            
Drive can read:                                                                 CD-R, DVD-R, DVD-RW, DVD+R, DVD+RW, DVD+R DL
====================

Blank media is DVD-R 16X.

Any ideas why this would be happening? I've got a few DVD writer programs on this machine and I'm wondering if something is stepping on the drivers or getting it all out of whack? I generally create r/w's when I'm creating DVD's to keep and when I know I have what I like, I just copy the r/w over to a read only and never bother to check it on the PC, and I just discovered this as I just got the Pinnacle program. It senses the end of the recorded media by scene not changing, closed the DVD and opens the drawer. When I closed the drawer to see what it 'automatically' created I noticed this problem. Could have been  there from day one, but if it something I can fix, I'd like too. If not, at least I know I'm not make drink coaster and will use the other drive to read them. Purchased DVD's do work in the drive however?

Could the program (Pinnacle NOT be closing the DVD properly) be possible? How can one 'test'?

Irv S.

Thanks,

Irv S.

All Replies
  • Hi, Irv:

Ok, let me see if I understand correctly, and I'll let you fill in what information I don't have.

You're creating a video DVD using a DVD_RW disc (what brand, speed, etc.?) with Pinnacle. The resulting disc plays on a tabletop DVD player, works in your ROM drive, but you cannot read the disc contents in other programs (Explorer?).

It's not a issue with finalizing the disc or the tabletop player would not work.

• For a DVD-RW to be playable in a standalone DVD player, the file structure is most likely a DVD-VIDEO one where there is a VIDEO_TS folder and possibly a AUDIO_TS folder.

Cyberlink PowerDVD should be able to play this disc that Pinnacle created. Windows Media Player 10 also should be able to play this disc.

my Dells:
    Precision M6300 - Windows 7 / Ubuntu 12.04
    Latitude D620 - XP Pro SP3
    Precision M6300 - Windows 7

• Osprey,

osprey4

Hi, Irv:

Ok, let me see if I understand correctly, and I'll let you fill in what information I don't have.

You're creating a video DVD using a DVD_RW disc (what brand, speed, etc.?) with Pinnacle. The resulting disc plays on a tabletop DVD player, works in your ROM drive, but you cannot read the disc contents in other programs (Explorer?).

It's not a issue with finalizing the disc or the tabletop player would not work.

No, it is a DVD-R I'm using in the R/W DVD drive. Pinnacle's Instant DVD Recorder program, packaged with the DVC 101 and Studio 12 which is for W7 including the x64 version, is the program I tried using. The Pinnacle product description is at http://pinnaclesys.com/PublicSite/us/Products/Consumer+Products/Dazzle/Dazzle+Video+Archiving/Dazzle+DVD+Recorder.htm. My box is almost identical but it has 'Plus' after the product name.

When I run the Instant DVD program, which all it is supposed to do is a direct transfer from the camcorder I have connected up to the USB device to my DVD writer, it completes and opens the DVD drawer. When I push the door closed Nero, Nero Showtime is my default player, starts but can't play the DVD? The media I'm using is Office Depot's 16X DVD-R. I discovered that created DVD when put into my other DVD drive can be read OK by Nero. In the DVD R/W any other DVD I insert, ones made by Nero's Nero Vision, SoThink's DVD Maker, Cyberlinks DVD suite, and some others I've used, commercially produced DVD's, work fine. If I use the same h/w setup but rather than using the Instant DVD program I use Studio 12 included in the package and capture off of the DVC 101, and produce a DVD-R with it, that DVD can be read in that drive?

Since it works (the created DVD-R) works on the other drive and DVD Players, then I assume the DVD format is proper from what you are telling me. So either the program has a problem or my DVD drive has a problem with that program? I thought something might have been mangled by the program and was stopping the reading, so I re-booted, but it still couldn't be read?

Contents of the Instant DVD produced DVD look just like any other DVD I have? It can be read by the other DVD drive which is not R/W? So what could be the cause here? Bad h/w?

I think calling Dell on this will be a waste of time. I can hear the response now, either put back Vista (I upgraded to W7 in Oct.), or re-format and re-install.

Thanks,

Irv S.

• Ieee,

ieee488

For a DVD-RW to be playable in a standalone DVD player, the file structure is most likely a DVD-VIDEO one where there is a VIDEO_TS folder and possibly a AUDIO_TS folder.

Cyberlink PowerDVD should be able to play this disc that Pinnacle created. Windows Media Player 10 also should be able to play this disc.

I'm beginning to think this is a physical DVD drive problem? Nero Showtime 4 can't play it, none of my DVD player programs can? It puts up this dialog box, "Unable to read part of a file on the DVD. Playback may be affected.". The DIR of the DVD is :

========================

F:\>dir /s
     Volume in drive F is IDVDR
     Volume Serial Number is 7655-C91A

Directory of F:\

02/05/2010  04:09 PM    <DIR>          AUDIO_TS
    02/05/2010  04:09 PM    <DIR>          VIDEO_TS
                   0 File(s)            548 bytes

Directory of F:\AUDIO_TS

02/05/2010  04:09 PM    <DIR>          .
    02/05/2010  04:55 PM    <DIR>          ..
                   0 File(s)            176 bytes

Directory of F:\VIDEO_TS

02/05/2010  04:09 PM    <DIR>          .
    02/05/2010  04:55 PM    <DIR>          ..
    02/05/2010  04:09 PM            12,288 VIDEO_TS.BUP
    02/05/2010  04:09 PM            12,288 VIDEO_TS.IFO
    02/05/2010  04:09 PM            43,008 VIDEO_TS.VOB
    02/05/2010  04:09 PM            32,768 VTS_01_0.BUP
    02/05/2010  04:09 PM            32,768 VTS_01_0.IFO
    02/05/2010  04:09 PM     1,073,739,776 VTS_01_1.VOB
    02/05/2010  04:09 PM     1,073,739,776 VTS_01_2.VOB
    02/05/2010  04:09 PM     1,073,739,776 VTS_01_3.VOB
    02/05/2010  04:09 PM       133,738,496 VTS_01_4.VOB
                   9 File(s)  3,355,091,588 bytes

Total Files Listed:
                   9 File(s)  3,355,092,312 bytes
                   6 Dir(s)               0 bytes free

F:\>

=====================

Sometimes DVD's inserted in this DVD will NOT Autoplay either? The above DVD was created on this drive if it matters?

Thanks,

Irv S.

• Irv:

Grab DVD Identifier (link in Osprey's Toolbox, below), and run it with a blank DVD-R in your RW drive. You should be able to determine the manufacturer and media code. If these are Ritek, then I suspect the issue is media quality.

• Osprey,

osprey4

Irv:

Grab DVD Identifier (link in Osprey's Toolbox, below), and run it with a blank DVD-R in your RW drive. You should be able to determine the manufacturer and media code. If these are Ritek, then I suspect the issue is media quality.

Nice link.

OK, got the tool, Ritek...

=======================

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Unique Disc Identifier : [DVD-R:RITEKF1]
    Disc & Book Type :       [DVD-R] - [DVD-R]
    Manufacturer Name :      [Ritek Corp.]
    Manufacturer ID :        [RITEKF1]
    Blank Disc Capacity :    [2,298,496 Sectors = 4.71 GB (4.38 GiB)]
    ** INFO : Drive = TSSTcorp DVD+-RW TS-H653F - [FW D400] - [ATAPI]
    ** INFO : Write Capabilities = DVD+R DVD+R-DL DVD+RW
    ** INFO : Write Capabilities = DVD-R DVD-R-DL DVD-RW DVD-RAM
    ** INFO : Disc = [DVD-R:RITEKF1]
    ** INFO : Reference Speed : 1x DVD = 1385 kBps
    ** INFO : An Writeable Disc Is Recommended For Accurate Results
    ** INFO : Write Speeds (Supported By This Drive On This Disc) Listed Below

** INFO : GET PERFORMANCE Write Speed Descriptor(s)
    Descriptor #1 = 22160 kBps (16.00x) - [Pure CAV]
    Descriptor #2 = 16620 kBps (12.00x) - [Pure CAV]
    Descriptor #3 = 11080 kBps ( 8.00x) - [CLV/Non-Pure CAV]
    Descriptor #4 =  8310 kBps ( 6.00x) - [CLV/Non-Pure CAV]
    Descriptor #5 =  5540 kBps ( 4.00x) - [CLV/Non-Pure CAV]

** INFO : MODE SENSE Write Speed Descriptor(s) [Legacy Command]
    ** WARNING : MODE SENSE Is Obsolete And Not Always Properly Supported
    Descriptor #1 = 22160 kBps (16.00x) - [CLV/Non-Pure CAV]
    Descriptor #2 = 16620 kBps (12.00x) - [CLV/Non-Pure CAV]
    Descriptor #3 = 11080 kBps ( 8.00x) - [CLV/Non-Pure CAV]
    Descriptor #4 =  8310 kBps ( 6.00x) - [CLV/Non-Pure CAV]
    Descriptor #5 =  5540 kBps ( 4.00x) - [CLV/Non-Pure CAV]
    ** INFO : Hex Dump Of 'Media Code'-Block Listed Below
    ** INFO : 4-Byte Header Preceding 'Media Code'-Block Discarded
    ** INFO : Format 0Eh - Pre-Recorded Information In Lead-In
    0000 : 01 40 c1 fd 9e d8 52 00  02 87 0d 13 87 88 90 00   .@....R.........
    0010 : 03 52 49 54 45 4b 46 00  04 31 00 00 00 00 00 00   .RITEKF..1......
    0020 : 05 88 80 00 00 00 02 00  06 09 0f 15 87 88 90 00   ................
    0030 : 07 a8 82 00 20 00 00 00  08 06 16 10 14 0f 0b 00   .... ...........
    0040 : 09 94 07 0d 0b 88 88 00  0a 80 00 00 00 00 10 00   ................
    0050 : 0b 09 1e 17 a7 89 85 00  0c b7 89 02 00 20 02 00   ............. ..
    0060 : 0d 00 00 d0 00 00 00 00  00 00                     ..........      

** INFO : Hex Dump Of 'Control Data Zone'-Block Listed Below
    ** INFO : 4-Byte Header Preceding 'CDZ'-Block Discarded
    ** INFO : Format 10h - Physical Format Information Of Control Data Zone
    0000 : 25 0f 02 00 00 03 00 00  00 26 12 7f 00 00 00 00   %........&......
    [ DVD Identifier V5.2.0 - http://DVD.Identifier.CDfreaks.com ]

========================

Still, this doesn't explain why the Instant DVD program created DVD can't be read in the R/W drive but when created on the same media in the R/W drive with Studio 12 it can?

I found some messages on the web sort of indicating that 1,048,514 kb was the largest size media file Nero would require, and these are larger, but both ones that Nero reads and do not read are the same size?

So I'm suspecting some content in one of the files is wrong? I'm not up on what should be in the smaller 'index' files like the .IFO. Suggestions on what to look for?

I think I might use IDVD to write to a folder next time and then burn the DVD with Nero and see if it can be read?

I guess the problem I'm mentally having is why the same media can be read if a different program is used? What could be the cause of this? Why only on this specific R/W drive can't it be read, however that same drive doesn't have a problem with DVD's created with other programs on the same media?

Thanks,

Irv S.

• I just checked some 'Value DVD's" I have, CMC Magnetics, only 4x speed. I'll give those a try next, should rule out media if they too don't work I guess? Maybe I can do that later today.

Thanks,

Irv S.

• ispalten

I just checked some 'Value DVD's" I have, CMC Magnetics, only 4x speed. I'll give those a try next, should rule out media if they too don't work I guess? Maybe I can do that later today.

Same problem. DVD gets created, try to read it in the R/W drive, Nero 8 Showtime, same error, other players can't play it either. Put it into the R/O drive, works fine? Same problem with different media types and speeds.

I have some 8x and 16x DVD+R's here, but I've had problems on some DVD players with those. Is it even worth experimenting with these or does this all point to a problem with the R/W drive or the program?

I've got Binary viewers and I can read the various files. Could there be something in one of them causing this? I wouldn't think so if the other drive has no problem running the media though?

I'm really confused over this?

Irv S.

Thanks,

Irv S.

• OK, even more confused now. Decided to check on my wife's 4 year old HP that has 2 DVD drives, a R/W and R/O.

Well, over there, the situation is even worse. None of the media will work on her R/W, not even the one produced by Studio 12 that works on my Dell? All work in her R/O, just like here on the Dell?

Could I have a read head alignment problem (and her machine as well)? That is the write head on the drive is off some, but even that doesn't make sense since if I write using Studio 12 it works? Could other things like 'strength' of signal (I have no idea if I'm even making sense here) be a cause?

Right now I'm leaning towards a bad drive...

Thanks,

Irv S.

• Irv:

You'll see a link to the DVD media quality guide in Osprey's Toolbox. Note the poor ratings for both Ritek and CMC. Before we give up on the drive, I suggest you try something in the high quality range. Although poor to average quality media is useable on some drives, it's unpredictable. I have a couple very good DVD burners but still tend to use only certain brands, those I have had good success with.

I appreciate your persistence and resourcefulness. It makes it much easier to solve sticky issues like this.

• Osprey,

osprey4

Irv:

You'll see a link to the DVD media quality guide in Osprey's Toolbox. Note the poor ratings for both Ritek and CMC. Before we give up on the drive, I suggest you try something in the high quality range. Although poor to average quality media is useable on some drives, it's unpredictable. I have a couple very good DVD burners but still tend to use only certain brands, those I have had good success with.

I appreciate your persistence and resourcefulness. It makes it much easier to solve sticky issues like this.

OK, I'm ready to 'close' this one and I agree, it is media...

IDVD did produce a Ritek DVD-R that could be read on the R/W drive, and Studio 12 finally made one that couldn't. Also I tried Ritek DVD+R and it was readable when created by IDVD, but not be Studio 12. All were readable on the read only drive.

I looked at this site, http://www.videohelp.com/dvdmedia, and it didn't seem that Ritek was that 'badly' rated? Bottom line, I guess I'll need to be more watchful the next time I buy media and experiment with new ones until I find a reliable brand. Funny part is I never had this problem until I got Dazzle, or didn't know I did? Rather than make coasters, I usually burned R/W's and then when 'happy', copied to R/O's and put them away by the TV and they always worked there. With IDVD I made the R/O direct and tried to check them in the same drive... and found the problem.

Thanks for you help Osprey.

Thanks,

Irv S.

• Glad to help!

• ispalten

I looked at this site, http://www.videohelp.com/dvdmedia, and it didn't seem that Ritek was that 'badly' rated?

You might want to take a look at http://www.nomorecoasters.com

When I bought my first DVD recorder back in 2005, blank media quality was one thing that I read about. Back then, you could buy made-in-Japan blank discs in the stores, so I bought a couple of spindles of them. I can't find the made-in-Japan discs in the stores anymore. Currently going through spindle of Sony DVD+R that I bought at Staples; these discs are made in Taiwan.

my Dells:
    Precision M6300 - Windows 7 / Ubuntu 12.04
    Latitude D620 - XP Pro SP3
    Precision M6300 - Windows 7