disk drive problem, does not recognize when a cd is in the drive

Disk Drives

Disk Drives
Disk Drives (Floppy, USB, HDD, CD/DVD/BD) discussion

disk drive problem, does not recognize when a cd is in the drive

This question is not answered

hey,

whenever i put in a disk into the drive, i go into my computer and click on the cd/dvd drive, it opens the drive and says please insert a disk into the drive, even if there is a disk already in the drives. any suggestions?

All Replies
  • I have the same problem, but when I ran Dell Diagnostics, I got the message that diagnostics for the CD and CD-R/W drives was not supported.  Where can I vget tehm?

• gs0711

I have the same problem, but when I ran Dell Diagnostics, I got the message that diagnostics for the CD and CD-R/W drives was not supported.  Where can I vget tehm?

Since you don't mention your system I can only offer the generic advice of going to HERE select your system and go to the drivers section and look under the Diagnostics listing

HomeBuilt SandyBridge P8P67 i7 2600k @ 4.5 ghz 8gigs GSkill Ripjaws. Corsair 800D Case and AX1200 Ps X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty pro PCIe Sound Card
    Dell Studio XPS 1645  Window 7 Pro

Forum member since 2003

• get the service tag off you pc, it should be on the case somewhere. go to dell.com/support and enter your service tag and then

go to the tech support area. if you look around they have a 'fix this' link that downloads a program which will reinstall your drives.

that is about all i have to offer. I think my dvd player is just broken as i tried it in another pc and it did not work. then i put it

back in and it did not even show the dvd drive nor my cd/rw-rom drive. and the 'fix this' program thing did re-install my cdrom drive.

• Guess what I could not connect with Dell connect either. It would try to connect then immediately freeze for a sec and thent ake me immediately back to the screen that asks for the code that the Dell rep gives you. 3 times he tried never did connect.

He told me it was my blank disks that I bought, because it recognized all other cds that had something on em like my microsoft office, or my dell printer disk or any of those, since it DID recognize those it had to be my disks, but I can't image all 3 boxes of the Fuji and Memerex CD-r's, CD-rws and the DVD are bad. What ya think?

Sheila in OK 

• sounds fishy! but at least yours works somewhat. Mine wont recognize any disc... I got a new dvd player

and if that does not fix it im going to be really not happy with dell. because their engineers should know how

to fix this. im glad you got some progress with your problem. maybe you just have to format those discs or

something for it to read them.

• Hi, Crud2012:

Hope you don't mind my jumping in here. If I understand correctly, you've received a new DVD drive but have yet to install it. Would you please let me know if that does not correct the situation? I want to help you resolve this.

One problem is that we're tracking multiple people in the same thread, which can really confuse things. People frequently think they have the same problem as an existing thread, but my preference is not to assume but to diagnose first, and solve later.

• Yes a new drive fixed the issue!! I had to re-install power dvd. but now I can watch movies and all that fun stuff!

It actually wasnt a new drive, just one i borrowed from an older pc I have. but hey it works.

Good luck to everyone who is having DVD issues, I know first hand how frustrating they are