Adding Hard drive and CD/DVD drive questions XPS 630

Disk Drives

Disk Drives
Disk Drives (Floppy, USB, HDD, CD/DVD/BD) discussion

Adding Hard drive and CD/DVD drive questions XPS 630

This question is not answered

Hello,

Wow, been alot of years since I posted here ( i think I invented ASPI CD drive knowledge...lol) Now that my age is out of the way.

I purchased a DELL XPS 630 with single CD/DVD drive to replace my self built machin which gave up the ghost. So a multi question challenge.

I want to add the DVD drive from my old machine to the new in the second drive bay

AND

Want to add the two SATA HDD from the old machine to the new

1) Can i add the DVD drive in that second drive bay ? Do I have to remove the faceplate and will the eject button work ?

2) I know how to add the HDD's so no issue there and I know that even though they are SATA I , they will work. Just want the data and storage.

3) NOW THE real question. Is the power supply that shipped with my dell sufficient for this ? I think its a 750 W (whatever comes with it) and my home built machine had 2000W. I did that for the fans, etc etc

I dont want to add this STUFF if i am going to overtax the machine. Maybe just the hard drives ?

Help is appreciated as I am a new 'consumer again' in the desktop world. I bought my laptops from DELL but the past 4 years desktops were self built. Thank you dell community in advance...Rob

All Replies
  • arcorob 

Yes, you can install either a IDE, or SATA DVD drive internally in the XPS 630. 

The default power supply should be fine and not need to be upgraded.

The discussion HERE may help you with the installation of the DVD drive.

Dell's instructions for installing an optical drive in a 630, are HERE

Note, The XPS 630, support a total of four SATA and two IDE drives.

Bev.

If my answer was helpful, please use the 'Did this answer the question' and click: Yes
    Forum Member since 2001
    I am not employed by Dell