Trying to reformat my new Dell Vostro 400 with Vista...

Disk Drives

Disk Drives
Disk Drives (Floppy, USB, HDD, CD/DVD/BD) discussion

Trying to reformat my new Dell Vostro 400 with Vista...

• Howdy - this is my first time here; I'm trying to reformat my Dell Vostro 400 just to get rid of (what I have discovered is called) bloatware and stuff like that, but I'm not having any luck.  I stick in the Windows Vista disk, restart, hit f12 for the boot menu, choose CD, and I just get a black screen that says "Boot from CD :_", with the cursor blinking.

Hitting Enter doesn't do anything; nothing I type shows up.  Nothing I do on the keyboard does anything (except ctrl+alt+del of course).  Same thing happens when I go the F2 route at startup and tell it to boot from the CDROM drive first.

Just putting the CD into the drive when Windows is running doesn't do anything either; it just sort of seems to chew on the disk for a little bit, mull things over and pretend like nothing happened.  I can't explore the disk or anything.

I'm not a super-deluxe whiz with computers or anything, but does anybody have any idea of what's going on?  Any suggestions would be much appreciated.  Thanks.

• Hi, spibbles:

There are certainly easier ways to get rid of unwanted software than reformatting, but anyway....

You need to run the Dell diagnostics on your CD drive. Go to the F12 menu and select utility partition, then choose custom test and run the test on your drive with a data disc in the drive.